• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Centering Art in Onyx

Varsity Group

Little bit of a background. I work for a marketing company that sells scrolling advertising that is displayed ad sporting events at high schools. We use a scrolling system that scans for a black "striker" which tells the system to stop scrolling for 30 sec before going again. This is why it is so important for us to have centered ads because if they aren't then they will show either the ad below it or cut off the ad. I have tried every setting I can think of to center the art when it's printed but it is still shifted to the left (if facing printer) about a quarter of an inch. I am using Onyx as my RIP Software on an Epson SureColor S60600. This is my first time using rip software. Before we just printed straight from photoshop on our old Canon IPF 8400 and I didnt have an issue.

unclebun

Have you set the print to be centered on the media in Onyx? There's a place for that. However, for it to work properly either the media needs to be exactly the width you specify or you have to let Onyx get the media width from the printer (and don't use the hold-downs or let Onyx compensate for them).

The other way to do it is to center the graphic by using offsets in Onyx. But this would be really cumbersome if every picture you print is a different width.

Varsity Group

Thanks I will try that. What is the best way to get the for Onyx to get the media from the printer? I already have the justification set to center but its still off about 1/4 of an inch.

Varsity Group

So I did that and am still getting about a .25in difference from left to right. Any ideas? In order to load the media I had to put the clamps on or else the printer would not accept the media.

Edit: it actually looks like is down to about 1/8 of an inch or less which is pretty good in my opinion and good be due to variation in the roll. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

unclebun

If you really want to know how I centered things when I had to do a two sided job, I printed a 1 yard wide x 1 inch high rectangle on the left setting and measured the distance to each edge of the vinyl, took half the distance and put that in the offset setting for origin point and repeated until it was perfectly centered.

Varsity Group

Wow that seems like a whole day wasted! I think Ill be okay with 1/8 of an inch offset. I switched media today ( had to print some vinyl ads) so we will see once I switch back to the back lit film

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Did you ever figure this out? I have an epson R5070L. Using onyx thrive (version 21.1.1.175, latest as of writing this). The epson has edge holders just like your machine does. When I load media I remove the edge holders so that the printer measures the full width of the roll. I use onyx to query printer to pull the exact size. I set onyx to center justify in the media settings. My PDF page size matches the roll size exactly. Yet my print is always shifted about 0.25-0.5" to the left (when facing the printer). If I load the exact same file from onyx onto my HP it prints dead center. Called epson and they told me to call onyx. Called onyx and they told me to call epson :p

tudouqiezi

Did you ever figure this out? I have an epson R5070L. Using onyx thrive (version 21.1.1.175, latest as of writing this). The epson has edge holders just like your machine does. When I load media I remove the edge holders so that the printer measures the full width of the roll. I use onyx to query printer to pull the exact size. I set onyx to center justify in the media settings. My PDF page size matches the roll size exactly. Yet my print is always shifted about 0.25-0.5" to the left (when facing the printer). If I load the exact same file from onyx onto my HP it prints dead center. Called epson and they told me to call onyx. Called onyx and they told me to call epson :p
The perfect infinite loop system