• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chalkboard Style Laserable Material?

netrave

Does anyone know where to get a product similar to a row mark material that can be laser engraved but has a chalk board style coating on the front of it? We need to make custom small chalk boards in various shapes. I was thinking of a matt black material that might have some texture on it?

I need it to be .060 thick and laserable... Or is there a way to take a matte black material and coat it with something to make it like a chalk board? We have to make a bunch of these so I don't want to hand paint anything it needs to be something that we can mass produce...

Anyways if you have any ideas at all, or know any specific plastic distributors that might have this - please let me know!

Something similar to this image - they would need to be writable on them with chalk
Chalkboard-645x442.jpg

CES020

I've never seen that in the laser world, but why do you need that? Can't you use the chalk board vinyl that's readily available and just laminate it to a 1/16" thick piece of PVC or something?

Techman

there is some material at fabric stores that is chalk board. Dont know that it is called,, but i have used it. Maybe that will work.

netrave

I've never seen that in the laser world, but why do you need that? Can't you use the chalk board vinyl that's readily available and just laminate it to a 1/16" thick piece of PVC or something?

Chalkboard Vinyl? Is it writable like chalkboard is? Can you digitally print on it with either Eco-solvent or a UV Printer?

S'N'S

Chalkboard Vinyl? Is it writable like chalkboard is? Can you digitally print on it with either Eco-solvent or a UV Printer?

Yes it's writable with normal chalk or liquid chalk pen. Don't know about printing on it, never needed to, but someone else may have.

Biker Scout

OMG! Seriously? Chalkboard Paint at Home Improvement Store or Art Store!

Chalkboard_Paint.jpg Chalkboard_Paint.jpg
There are more... should I find you more?

Now, this isn't specifically directed at you, sorry. But I see this a lot in the sign industry.
You get a fancy new toy, and forget how to actually make signs with your hands. Functional even.
Sometimes there's no "Easy Button" to press. You have to roll up your sleeves and get the paint out.

Signs-Are-Easy-Button.png

And mass production is nothing... it's just about your set-up. How large is your laser? 4x8? Coat the entire sheet of lexan/acrylic or whatever in one go. Let it dry then place it upside down on the laser bed to cut out all the shapes. (It might cut right side up, but you have to experiment anyway) Even if you had all the blanks pre-cut, lay them out on the table and paint all at once. I'd be willing to be you could even silk screen these with this paint and larger mesh screen as a flood coat. UV Drier, done.