• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing bulbs/ballast? Can I do it?

JMPrinting

I have been making more "soft" signage the past few years and I am wanting to get into some larger projects. I recently replaced panels in a sign that had a bad ballast. I am in Ohio, am I allowed to change it? Can I change bulbs? I am not sure that the rules are. I tried looking around online with no luck.

What if I am swapping out a sign cabinet for another? Any suggestions help.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm sure there'll be some disagreement on this topic (there is every time it comes up), and there isn't really a "blanket" yes or no answer to this- but I personally think your best bet is to check with the code enforcement agency where you plan on doing the work and finding out what the specific requirements are about this sort of thing (whether you're required to be a licensed electrician, insurance, etc.). Just because you're physically able to perform the work doesn't mean they'll approve it.

MikePro

calling your local building dept./city hall would clear up most of your questions:
swapping out a sign cabinet for another usually requires a permit. sometimes even changing vinyl on the face of an existing sign does too, depending on city. whether or not you're allowed to pull a permit, depends on the city.

most cities / property owners would require proof of insurance for electrical work, so they have someone to go after in the event of fire/injury/death of people on their property, but changing a lightbulb is simple servicework that only requires you follow OSHA regulations or get fined.

bannertime

Check with your local sign code enforcement or your state licensing department. Even then you'll get mixed answers.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea like banner time said call State licenseing board. I read Texas code and was confused along with others. Had a recorded conversation with a compliance person at our state agency explain what I could and could not do. Even then that differed from what others were told by the same agency.

Johnny Best

We all have changed out ballasts and bulbs without permits. But, it is not a good idea to do it unless you have the right credentials such as a licence and insurance to do so. Too many bad things can happen. Like everyone said to do, check with your local government about permits and information.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know on building codes here you (even if you are fully competent to do so properly) are not allowed to work on anything yourself. You must pay someone to do it for you. If you go by the rules you are not even allowed to change out a basic light switch, install a new faucet on your sink, etc. It is sue happy world we live in now where everyone must be protected from themselves and government people need to justify keeping their jobs by coming up with more and more regulations. Also important to be aware of, the "trades" have to pay to get certified, the have to pay to take the exams, the certifications and exams are administered by those who get paid to write more regulations that become part of the exams, and they are also the very same ones who charge for the permits to do any sort of work, etc. So it is in their best interest in their own self preservation of their jobs to create even more regulations and rules because without all of that they would not have jobs.

That being said the general majority of people are totally incompetent in regards to anything electrical or mechanical and have no business whatsoever attempting anything more than changing a basic screw in light bulb. The regulations need to address in some way those who are totally competent at doing certain trades but have not paid for getting all of the certifications and permits.

What it comes down to is as others mentioned - your localities city hall will be the place to determine what is required where you are at.