• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing date backwards on JV3.

ColesCreations

I have seen several posts on changing the date, or other tricks to be able to use outdated ink cartridges.

When setting up our machine, we suddenly ended up with November 2008 on the clock, which caused the whole thing to freeze up, just dashes where the ink remaining should be.

Should be no big deal I thought, just set the date back to the correct date...

This does NOT work on the JV3-160SP! You cannot move the date backwards, not even a day! Not even in #-mode!

Tried to get a hold of tech help, but as usual unavailable, and printer needed routine cleaning cycle.

Solution: Removed the cover behind the firewire card, took out the fw card and removed the battery on the main board for a few minutes, put everything back together, and booted up.

Was a bit worried, but figured anything is better than clogged heads!

Anyway, date now says 010105, and any old expired ink cartridge will work.

PS: printer still prints fine, only settings changed were heater and some other minor things. 10 minute job.

Other posts have mentioned using the chip from a newer ink cartridge, which of course will work, but ink level is then stored in the chip, and when you move the chip back to the "new" cartridge, it will show whatever it showed before you removed it from the old cartridge.

Hope this will be of use to someone...
:Coffee:

eforer

I don't know if the 3.10 firmware (aka the no BS firmware) has an equivalent or is supported by the SP, but with that firmware on my S, the whole chip thing is bypassed. This worked out well as moving to the bulk system was plug and play with no chip reseting etc.