• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing Ink Configuration on JV3?

ColesCreations

Our JV3 is set up for 6-color + WW.

We got it new 3 weeks ago, inks were half full, ordered a new 6-color set, the dealer told me we would not need white for a long time, not necessary to order white.

Now, suddenly, white is "near end", and we have not printed one sq inch white yet, it's all in the bucket, called the dealer, and 2 other dealers, they say no white in stock for at least a week or 2.

When white hits empty, printer will stop, not even do its routine cleanings, and will clog up. Scary?

Seems to me that 6-color plus white is more trouble than it's worth, we'll probably go weeks or months between each time needing to print white, then we'll end up putting more white ink in the waste than on the prints, and the white cartridges are $200 each for 220 cc in Europe.

Questions:

If we put wash cartridge in the white position, will it print? (Tried to put a yellow cartridge in empty white slot, that did not work)

Can we change the configuration to 6-color (only), and leave the last head passive (just keep it with a supply of ink, maybe yellow to prepare for dual CMYK)?

Is it possible to change ink configuration without flushing the machine, and how?

ChicagoGraphics

You dont need any carts where the white is suppose to be when printing with the 6 colour setup. So you will have to change your setup to just 6 colours and NO white.

ColesCreations

Yes, but our setup is 8-color! I have searched high and low, asked the "tech" at the dealer, all over the net, maintenance manual and setup etc... How can I change from 8 to 6-color?
Help much appreciated!

GARY CULY

why in the world woundt you consult your factory rep on qestions like this? if you cant get your rep /a rep on the phone for questions like this you have a bad life comming trying to learn printing with your mimaki ....i mean these guys were here at my shop 3 days ...10 hrs a day .they went over a million things .step-by-step...
do people just buy these mimakis without having a trianing period?

GARY CULY

im not honestly trying to be a smart azz ...but did you buy this at a mimaki dealer? or e-bay? here in the usa when you buy a mimaki you get factory training ...from "factory representatives" i.e. factory rep thats all i was asking .ill go away now

ColesCreations

Oh no, I'm sorry, no offense given or taken:Big Laugh

Just tryin' to be a bit funny. (Even though I am frustrated like hell!)

Machine was purchased from a dealer, their tech did not seem to know much about the machine, we spent a day-and a half learning how to operate it at the dealers premises, much of that time spent fixing a clogged capping station and pump...

I will call them in the morning, and get a number for the factory guys, I agree, it's total bullshit that I can't get good support from the people we bought it from...

In the meantime though- Any ideas how to change configuration from 8 to 6-color?

iSign

Will try and find a "factory rep"... Where can i buy one:help:

Call Matt at Advantage sign supply:
1.800.522.3698 ext. 1590

He is my rep & he and the entire Advantage organization are virtually unbeatable in any aspect of supplying, servicing and supporting all things signs.

I am a loyal customer spending over $500 a month, thus qualifying for the "Gold" lever of service priority. Believe me, now that I know the value of what they can offer a busy sign shop... just in the tech support department... I'd never be without it...

...I don't shop around for prices... I just get everything I need from them if they sell it because the service after the sale really adds up & there prices are great anyway.

I have no idea what they can do for folks who didn't buy a machine from them, but if you become a customer, I think that will benefit you in many ways anyway... and the just may have a fee based tech support program you could qualify for immediately. they know there Mimaki's down there.

For the record, I ship ALL my Mimaki inks and medias all the way from Michigan to Hawaii just because these guys are really that awesome.

ColesCreations

Lots of good advice folks! Thanks.

I kinda regret not buying the machine from Advantage, but the warranty would have been void since it was out of the country...
They have, however, offered to sell us ink, at half the price of what we pay in Europe.

I called MimakiEurope, they would not tell me any secrets, other than get a tech... Called our rep, they just said to use the instructions for flushing... (p. 5-30 in the operation manual).

I had missed that, don't know how, was looking for changing the configuration without wasting $100's in ink etc, and was getting a little frustrated, where as my boss (wife) was getting a lot frustrated:smile:

With time running out, I studied the flushing procedure in the manual, which ends up with choosing new ink configuration.

Don't tell anyone, but I went through the whole procedure for flushing, with the hoses going into the pump for head 3-4 unplugged, did not waste a drop of ink or washing fluid:thumb:

When it asked for washing cartridges; I removed the IC-chips from the 4 ink cartridges, and put them in, the printer now thinking these were wash cartridges. It sat pumping again for 10 minutes or so, getting nothing, then, after "wash" was complete, I specified new configuration (6-color), put back in almost empty LC and LM ("near end" both of them), pumped another few minutes, then- magic- Local!
Fine test prints, we're back in business, don't think we have ruined anything, and it did not cost $1000's getting a service tech flown in. I'm having a :beer