• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel Contaminatio And "overspray" On Printing

PreImp

I am having a couple of issue with my mutoh vj1604 and was hoping to get some insight. The first issue is I am getting ink backing up(channel contamination into the lines) equivalent to what would happen if you did a head soak for along time. It typically happends when the printer sets over night. I then run a little bit of print to "flush" out the dirty ink and all is fine. I believe the pump is sucking out the ink through the capping station, because I can see it dripping into the waste bottle on a cleaning. That's question 1..

Question 2: Which could or could not be related. It looks as though I am getting a red overspray on certain areas of print. I have attached a couple of pictures of what it looks like. The picture with the butterfly has the red overspray just to the left of the bottom left wing. (it's kind of hard to see)

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• overspray.jpg
    overspray.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 285

Signchief

I am having a couple of issue with my mutoh vj1604 and was hoping to get some insight. The first issue is I am getting ink backing up(channel contamination into the lines) equivalent to what would happen if you did a head soak for along time. It typically happends when the printer sets over night. I then run a little bit of print to "flush" out the dirty ink and all is fine. I believe the pump is sucking out the ink through the capping station, because I can see it dripping into the waste bottle on a cleaning. That's question 1..

Question 2: Which could or could not be related. It looks as though I am getting a red overspray on certain areas of print. I have attached a couple of pictures of what it looks like. The picture with the butterfly has the red overspray just to the left of the bottom left wing. (it's kind of hard to see)

Thanks so much.
What was the outcome?

bigblocktrader

the drain lines from cap tops to pump and or pump to drain bottle maybe slowly clogging,even 25% can cause issues, I remove mine flush them run a wire through and even blow air through them,you will be surprised what comes out,

PreImp

the drain lines from cap tops to pump and or pump to drain bottle maybe slowly clogging,even 25% can cause issues, I remove mine flush them run a wire through and even blow air through them,you will be surprised what comes out,

So I thought the problem had went away, but it's back now. It seems to always be on the left side of color being printed. I will try cleaning out the drain lines and check the outcome. What's interesting is if I run the printer with a banner profile (4 passes as opposed to 8) then there is no problem at all. Also if I run it in unidirectional mode (printing one direction only), there is no problem. So I don't think it's a static electricity problem, maybe a cleaning will help?? I'm at a loss..

Thanks

PreImp

So I thought the problem had went away, but it's back now. It seems to always be on the left side of color being printed. I will try cleaning out the drain lines and check the outcome. What's interesting is if I run the printer with a banner profile (4 passes as opposed to 8) then there is no problem at all. Also if I run it in unidirectional mode (printing one direction only), there is no problem. So I don't think it's a static electricity problem, maybe a cleaning will help?? I'm at a loss..

Thanks
In case anyone was curious.. It ended up being a bad printhead. I replaced and all is good now.. oh and I put new dampers on too..