• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Channel letter clip

Sdixon

I have a competitor breathing down my neck and attempting to court a major client. Said client lost the face off of a channel letter yesterday in a wind storm (70 mph winds) and is upset about it. This particular set was built by a different company 15 years ago. Anyways, this competitor has reached out to my client to let them know this should never happen and has promised they can replace the face within a week and put a special clip on this set, as well as all of their other sets, that will prevent faces from blowing off in future storms. Luckily the client called me and informed me of this competitors offer. I was able to calm them down and keep the competitor at bay for now, but the client wants me to look into said clip. I have racked my brain trying to think of what this product could possibly be and have concluded it is probably non existent. I can’t image a friction clip that would somehow reinforce the mechanical fasteners used in the trim, but I am the first to admit I don’t know everything. Has anyone ever heard of such a product, and if so can you point me in the right direction so I can at least review options with my client?

Z SIGNS

I would tell them your sign your 15 year old sign is junk and you need a new one. If they don't trust and value that diagnosis I would wish them good luck with their newfound miracle solution sign makers

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No clue on the miracle clip but if all else fails:
100mile-an-hour-tape.jpg

Military grade 100 mile an hour tape.
If this won't keep those faces on, nothing will.
Plus if you select the correct camo pattern it should be undetectable(in theory).

Sdixon

I would tell them your sign your 15 year old sign is junk and you need a new one. If they don't trust and value that diagnosis I would wish them good luck with their newfound miracle solution sign makers
I pretty much did. That building is under construction and the sign will be replaced within a year so they are just wanting a quick fix for now. They’ve been enticed by said clip though...

Johnny Best

How are the faces attached now, with jewelite trim and screws or overlap with clear button attached to underside of acrylic face with screw thru channel into button.
Maybe he has a clear piece that attaches to face and he screws that in. Could be after 15 years the material is breaking down.
He just calls them something else that is not sign lingo and the term "clip" is something he uses.

visual800

First off I wouldnt let this "competitor" worry you with his BS gimmicks. He probably took some flat bar and will screw it to trimcap over to letter lol. I would love to see a pic of those "clips". Him causing this much commotion over a 15 year old sign tickles me.

If you lost a face off an old sign in 70 mph winds, S&$% happens! Sounds to me like sign company 2 is desperate for clients. IF your client goes with this guy let them go

MikePro

+1 he's most likely making stuff up, or uses the term "clip" for a galvanized/stainless steel screw/rivot that won't corrode.

Aside from that, I've been making channel letters for 20+ years and have never heard of any additional "clips" for them, but I have heard of people just capping the letters without securing with a mechanical fastener or simply failing to replace the screws when servicing the sign.

signbrad

Signcomp has a trim cap system that uses metal "clips." It looks like the clips are screwed or riveted to the returns first and then the trip cap snaps in place. But I don't think it has been on the market for fifteen years. Maybe it lasts longer than screws, maybe it doesn't. It's advertised as a faster assembly rather than longer-lasting. And the look would be cleaner—no screw heads visible or distortion of the trim cap from the pull of the screws. I haven't tried it, but it looks cool. Is the plastic cap a better grade?

https://www.gogsg.com/2331924/Product/SignComp_9641

Still...fifteen-year-old trim cap? Typically, it will be brittle and trying to come apart at the fifteen-year mark. I don't consider trim cap to be a fifteen-year product. It's true that a stainless steel screw into an aluminum return will have a galvanic reaction—stainless and aluminum do not play well together—but the hole in the return should still hold the screw unless it was stripped out, to begin with. A steel screw, painted, is a better hold than stainless, in theory, in an aluminum return. And aluminum screws would be best like signage said, but few do that.

If the Signcomp system is superior in longevity, that's a good thing. But screws have been "best practice" in the industry since I was in diapers. It's not the "wrong" way. Those are the words of a blowhard. But the Signcomp system could be a major improvement. It is certainly worth trying.

Brad in Kansas City