• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel Letter Problems

xxtoni

Hello everyone,

Recently we've made an effort to improve our channel letters from what we had before.

What we had before was a channel letter with an acrylic side so all of it was lit but we also had demand from an important client for non-lit sides. When we provided the version we usually do the client wasn't really happy.

The way we did it up until that point was by using profiles like these:

elkamet02.jpg

We never liked the look of these profiles either and since the client didn't like them either we set out to make a better channel letter.

After pondering for a while we decided to get ourselves some thin aluminium sheets and cut them up into strips and use them as our channel letter sides. To help and increase the accuracy of the bending process we also milled a channel to half the depth of the acrylic face (1.5m deep / 3mm acrylic) and make the channel as wide as the aluminium side we're using (usually 0.5 or 0.7mm). We bend the letters into the shape of the letters and then glue the sides to the front of the letter with superglue while adding rectangle support "blocks" out of acrylic every few centimeters to make them stronger. Then we prepare them for the painting process and spray paint them.

They seemed pretty much perfect and we made sure to test how they hold up to stress and pressure and they seemed really strong. We made dozens of these and everything seemed fine. A few days ago a few of the guys decided to work outside as the weather was nice and they took the letters outside to work on them. After standing in the sun for half an hour or so the letters started falling apart. At this point we realized that the glue didn't bond properly on the aluminium. We took a few more letters outside and a lot of them had the same problem.

Now we have a huge problem with these, we have dozens of signs with this problem, they're pretty much finished and scrapping them isn't an option.

Another problem with them is that at the joint where the gap on the side connects the paint breaks on some of the letters, this isn't a huge issue as most of the joints are on the upper side of the letters so they aren't really visible.

Is there some glue that we could use to salvage this situation ? Something that can bond raw aluminium with acrylic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mosh

+++5" coil, 1/2" bend, slot the bend to make corners....the way it has been done for years. Staple or rivet the back on.

xxtoni

Thanks for the replies

The edge that goes over the face is...unattractive.

Any ideas on how I could salvage the current batch ?

J Hill Designs

I will assume you are talking about reverse pan channel letters then? for the halo look?

regular channel letters: letter coil to .063 backs, face is acrylic with trimcap....

xxtoni

I will assume you are talking about reverse pan channel letters then? for the halo look?

regular channel letters: letter coil to .063 backs, face is acrylic with trimcap....

No, it's like a regular channel letter, the face is lit but we don't like the trimcap.

So instead of the acrylic going into a channel in the side (like on the channel letter coil) we routed a channel into the acrylic face that is wide as the aluminium side is thick and then bent and glued the aluminium side along that channel. That way there is no trimcap, the aluminium goes into the acrylic face instead of the acrylic face going into a channel inside the coil.

Hopefully that makes sense. I've also attached a photo that will hopefully explain better.

Attachments

• acrylic channel.jpg
    acrylic channel.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 228

J Hill Designs

how do you open it to service then?

best bet for acrylic => aluminum adhesive would be LORDS i think, but it would dim the edges...

IMO your expectations are too high

trim cap isnt ugly, its necessary