• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Channel Letters Elkamet

BingoBrewster

Hi
I need to get into making channel letters

Can anyone tell me what ALS is in the following image. I assume its a roll of aluminium sheet. But does it have an brand name? Does it come pre-snipped? Where might I get some in Europe?

705.jpg

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not familiar with ALS as an item name, but most channel letter would have a thinner (.032"-.063") aluminum return. Many suppliers offer it pre-painted, which saves on prep.
While it's certainly might be something that's available, I'm not familiar with rolls coming "pre-notched," so if you're going to get into building them, I suggest investing in a notcher.

What I'm most curious about in your picture is the PVC backer. Regulations in Europe may be radically different, but PVC won't cut it as a back in the US because of UL regulations. That's a
hold-over from the days when neon was the preferred light source for these (though I freely admit that may have changed since LEDs are now the "go-to" and I'm just not aware of the change). For that reason, most channel letters I've had a hand in making over the past five years or so have utilized aluminum composite materials for a letter back. The aluminum "skin" meets code requirements- plus, it's lightweight, easy to paint, and holds up better than PVC (my opinion).

BingoBrewster

It may be the same here. All neon light boxes I have seen are backed with a kind of textured aluminium (I guess) sheet.

Signchief

Its a roll of sheet metal. You have to cut it into 8' lengths and then bend a .5" 90 degree angle down the whole length then notch it where it will bend or curve. How do you plan to cut the faces and backs? I've only ever seen .040 aluminum used for the backs. I would expect it will take you a couple weeks at least to figure out how to make a decent looking channel letter and that's with all the proper tools. If you are not planning on making this your full time job I would caution you about getting too invested in this. You will also need a finger brake. It might be a good idea to have some .020 aluminum cut into 4.5" x 8' strips and find a sheet metal shop to bend the .5" lip down the lengths and build a simple logo box so you can get a feel for what you're getting into before you invest any more time or money. If you can't make a perfectly square rectangle with a face that fits nicely you won't be able to make a w or an s that looks any good. Keep in mind things are never as easy as they seem and there is a reason why channel letters are so expensive. With that being said GOOD LUCK!

printhog

There are lots of firms that make channel letters wholesale and I'd strongly suggest you start there. Automated edge benders have made it a tough field to make by hand and be competitive.
The material in question for those machines is pre finished aluminum on rolls.

www.channelletterbender.com

its only a freaking sign!

BingoBrewster

Its a roll of sheet metal. You have to cut it into 8' lengths and then bend a .5"......

Thank you very much for the advice. Previously I have always thought to buy them in, but always wondered if I am throwing money way by not making myself. A have just found a supplier of the Elkamet strips in Holland so I thought it would be a good time to give it a go.

I know prices are different around the world, but could anyone give me a guide retail price for a 2 foot high channel letter with LED lighting and perspex face.

petrosgraphics

Thank you very much for the advice. Previously I have always thought to buy them in, but always wondered if I am throwing money way by not making myself. A have just found a supplier of the Elkamet strips in Holland so I thought it would be a good time to give it a go.

I know prices are different around the world, but could anyone give me a guide retail price for a 2 foot high channel letter with LED lighting and perspex face.