• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chapped me big time!!!

busypc

We own a small sign shop 100ish miles from Houston. Yesterday new customer comes in and wants to get a price on cutting some vinyl lettering for his vehicle...2 layers...he will install. No problem. I quote the job and he says "Oh my gosh, that's high". Well, the graphics are 6' wide and 12" tall--2 layers, 4 cuts. I felt like my price was very fair. He says that the company in Houston that he normally deals with cut both sides of the same thing for $10. I almost fell out of my chair. I informed him that something had to be "really wrong with that picture". I didn't tell him, but i wouldn't waste my time to cut and weed 6' wide x 1 ft -4 times for that. We got into a discussion and turns out he is getting screen printed shirts RETAIL PRICED at $3 per shirt. UN FRICKIN BELIEVABLE! Don't these companies know that they are hurting all of us by selling this cheap? What's a small shop? Bad thing was, he was a really nice guy and I would have enjoyed having him as a customer.

Locals Find!

He is lying to you. #1 question to ask a customer that says that, if the prices are that low why is he coming to you to quote them??

Answers:

A. He is lying about the pricing to get a better deal
B. He is telling the truth and the company went out of business a week later because they couldn't pay the light bill or rent
C. Everything he got at those prices looks like pure garbage & failed and he wants it done right at the same price by someone like you.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yeah that sucks but it wont be the last time it happens, just let them know they should use that guy then if his price is so good.

busypc

No kidding. I quoted $120. And he wanted it immediately. I was friendly to him and told him that he was getting an unbelievable deal.

CanuckSigns

why would someone even bother getting a second price if they are paying $10?!?

for $10 I can guarentee you he is getting shinerite vinyl, that wouldn't even pay material for decent 2mil cast vinyl

busypc

He was pricing it because the phone company gave him the wrong telephone number and he was 100 miles away from the other company. Boo hoo for him.

threeputt

News Flash. Customers lie. Sometimes they make a game out of it. They have more time to waste on this sort of thing than you do.

Wash it off. Move on.

Last edited:

busypc

Yeah I get it and have moved on to the next job. Just sounding out! I was hoping they were on the forum, too and would read how people feel about this kind of stuff.

CanuckSigns

This has to be what happened, even if he found the vinyl & plotter in a dumpster somewhere, the time it takes is worth more than $10!

Curiosity would have already gotten the best of me by now, I would have called this other shop from my cell phone and asked for a price, if they come back with something stupid low, tell them they must be crazy, you know a guy who will do it for half that!

News Flash. Customers lie. Sometimes they make a game out of it. They have more time to waste on this sort of thing than you do.

Wash it off. Move on.

andy

Price warfare as a means towards gaining a dominant market position is as old as the hills. These below cost price deals are designed to drive you out of business.... they're not supposed to make the cheapass companies profitable.

Once you've all been eliminated these morons fully expect to emerge as the single, sole source of sign products in the area. Without competition these companies plan to regain all lost revenues by jacking their prices to the moon.

It sounds depressing, it appears to be something you should fret about... thankfully there is a fatal flaw in this "plan".... it never works. Either your competition are simply streets ahead of you in terms of product & quality thus can't be beaten with the cheap price stick... or.... as it more typical the cretins running these below cost pricing models run out of money long before any of their competitors start feeling the heat.

If you are prepared to cut a 4 coloured vinyl graphic for $10 then you are a business man or woman who is prepared to pay customers for their work.