• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Charging to pull permits...

JoeBoomer

How much do you guys charge for pulling permits for clients? I'm talking mostly about channel letters and things like that.

- We create the permit packet
- Our installers (outsourced) go and get the permit. They will charge us up to $500-$700 to pull the permit sometimes.

Since we are in LA a simple permit will sometimes take 3 or 4 hours of time. Possibly multiple trips, etc.

I wish we could just tell the customer to do it, but that is part of the reason customers come to us.

Any suggestions....?

Go Team!

DSC

We just work in a fee that we do not line item for the permit..

We generally adjust the price from $100 to $500 and up depending on the town and different commissions or variances we need to get approval from..

We also charge our shop rate for after hours meetings if/as needed..

Bottom line is time =money..

Generally for all exterior custom signs, our designers are required to create a packet that includes everything that we need for build and install, and this is generally what the towns or cities need for approval.

We actually built our packet around the experiences we have had so that we do not have to do extra work for the permit..

And the thing is , throughout the different departments that the sign needs to go through for fabrication, the packet helps keeps mistakes at a minimum .

JoeBoomer

We just work in a fee that we do not line item for the permit..

We generally adjust the price from $100 to $500 and up depending on the town and different commissions or variances we need to get approval from..

We also charge our shop rate for after hours meetings if/as needed..

Bottom line is time =money..

Generally for all exterior custom signs, our designers are required to create a packet that includes everything that we need for build and install, and this is generally what the towns or cities need for approval.

We actually built our packet around the experiences we have had so that we do not have to do extra work for the permit..

And the thing is , throughout the different departments that the sign needs to go through for fabrication, the packet helps keeps mistakes at a minimum .

Thanks for the insight. That is pretty similar to our process. However, we are a shop of four (4) guys, so we are having our out-sourced installer(s) go and pull the permit. So, they charge us $300-$700 just to go to the city and wait, etc. Fairly often we have to re-work the packet and go to the city a 2nd time. That's when we run into issues with going back to the customer or whatnot.

Being new here, I'm not really sure why we are going multiple times so I guess I should figure that out before trying to fix it.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Jean Shimp

Thanks for the insight. That is pretty similar to our process. However, we are a shop of four (4) guys, so we are having our out-sourced installer(s) go and pull the permit. So, they charge us $300-$700 just to go to the city and wait, etc. Fairly often we have to re-work the packet and go to the city a 2nd time. That's when we run into issues with going back to the customer or whatnot.

Being new here, I'm not really sure why we are going multiple times so I guess I should figure that out before trying to fix it.

Is the permit in your name or the installer's name. There is a question of liability. If the installer is pulling the permit under their name (which I think is right) they are liable for any and all issues that could occur with that sign. So if it falls or sets a building on fire, they will be the first ones contacted. That is worth some money there. If you are assuming the liability by having the permit in your name and are doing all the paperwork, I would go to the city myself and wait instead of paying $300-$700.

DSC

If the installer is "pulling the permit" they should be the ones going back the second time.. Some installers have a flat fee depending on the town. Some charge by the hour..

You can always negotiate your fee as well, you are the one giving them the work anyway .

If you are creating the permit packet for them to go to the town and present for approval, you can save your self a lot of money by using a stamp..

If you are getting your done permit late and you are creating the entire packet, just go yourself.. The installer does NOT HAVE TO pull the permit, as long as on the permit it shown them as the contractor or persons performing the work on site..

Having to go back once or twice to get it done correctly does happen. But you can also prevent that by using the internet and/or making a phone call to town hall to find out what you need.. Every town has everything needed and instructions for pulling permits on a website.. If you use that properly, then no second trips and no extra fees should be needed..

If you are shorthanded and don't have time, then anything form $100 to $500 seems reasonable for pulling a permit.. It all depends on the town. It also depends on the size of the job..