• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chase Bank - vandalism

MikePro

just got a call that one of the new monument signs from a recently installed Chase signage package was vandalized. Going up there with an arsenal of thinners, cleaners, and sanding pads but wanted to see if anyone had any tricks to getting spraypaint off acrylic/plexiglass without burning the substrate. I'm sure my painter will weigh in on this, as well, but I have yet to discuss this with him.

also, I know there's anti-graffiti clearcoats available but I've never used it on plexi/acrylic before... worthwhile? or just keep stacking service tickets whenever these 'hooligans keep comin' back?

will post pics and notes of my outcome.
(noted, picture does not show the damage, just more of a reference to the signage on topic)

Attachments

• Picture 35.jpg
    Picture 35.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 254
sprayway graffiti removal (i think the product number is 870) if you have a johnstone supply (industrial cleaners/etc) they stock it. i can not tell you how many times this product saved my bacon.

and yes there are a variety of "anti-graffiti" laminates / tedlar. i have mixed feelings about them, it really depends on the sign, where it is located etc. in my experience as much of a pain as it can be i really try to design in ways to repair a sign if i know it will be subjected (or has a high chance of being damaged) that can simply be replaced. such as a thin sheet of clear acrylic that can be slid out of a channel and replaced. the problem with tedlar and other laminates is that if a "punk" scratches it, burns it..all of those creative destructive things vandals tend to do ...it has to be replaced. most spraypaints, markers, etc. will wipe off with a little elbow grease but very rarely in my experience is the damage limited to just a simply 'tag' with a spraycan/bomb.