• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Cheap Software for CUT vinyl

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
Hello Dear People!

I need to know a good software to Create Simple Files with numbers and letters for cutting.
I do not want to pay for flexi now...find it quite expensive.
And Rasterlink+Illustrator are a super pain for me.

I need something super easy for that purpose only.

Thank YOU!

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
Which plotter do you have? And you have no design software at the moment?

I have a Mimaki CJV 150-130
It prints and cuts.
But the rasterlink gives me trouble....and the final cut extension for illustrator also.

I am looking for something to design and cut altogether... If i have no other choice i will go back to Flexi.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to your profile, you provide quite a nice array of products. You surely have made more than enough money to afford one of the main ingredients in your arsenal of equipment in the sign world. Just get something good, learn it and use it.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What version of rasterlink and what trouble are you having?

Is there any reason you want cut only software when you have a printer too?

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
According to your profile, you provide quite a nice array of products. You surely have made more than enough money to afford one of the main ingredients in your arsenal of equipment in the sign world. Just get something good, learn it and use it.

Gino, Images can be deceitful..profiles too.
I understand what you mean, and i agree with you.
But i am kind of really broke...and all that money that you say I made is only in your imagination.
This does not change reality.
I have to do what you say regardless of the rest.

Thank You.

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
What version of rasterlink and what trouble are you having?

Is there any reason you want cut only software when you have a printer too?

Hi!
Rasterlink 6. V4.0

This is the real reason for my request:

I used to work with my ex-wife, she was the designer....I printed and installed.
I have really little Adobe knowledge and every time i need to make some "easy cut lettering" on illustrator I go nuts.
Even worst when I get the eps to rasterlink the cut outline is not marked, so I have to go back and use a plugin on illustrator (but that plugin is for windows and the illustrator is on a mac)
Besides this I have found that marking and modifying contour cuts in Illustrator is a major pain.

So i want to get a solution to this mess of back and forth to make a simple job happen.

I might have to go with Flexi and learn it the best i can.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank You

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
you don't need the illustrator plugin as long as your cut line is a spot colour named CutContour - that's probably where you're going wrong?

Rasterlink isn't user friendly/the nicest looking rip but it does what its supposed to as long as you set up your files correctly.

That and you can also get that plugin for mac - you might need to revert back to an older version of illy though. you shouldn't need the plugin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're really broke, then it would make more sense to really concentrate on what you have, instead of going out and buying more worthless software. If your ex got it to work, then you can. It sounds as though you still have all the components to work, just not the knowledge. It might pay you to hire someone to come in and teach you, if you cannot do it on your own. I know from experience, learning something like this is not easy, but you need to be honest with yourself and make an effort. It takes dicipline..... do you have that ?? If not, you're gonna not only let yourself down, but all of your customers and most of all, you'll make your ex happy, if you just whine about it and do nothing. There's not always a 'quick fix' to all of your problems. Sometimes we are the problem.

If you can't find anyone because of this covid19 stuff, then research your exact setup and utube it. It's gotta be out there. Also, people here can help you through it. But you must learn, not just use.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If you have Final Cut from Mimaki in Illustrator...thats not all that difficult. Need to know illustrator quite well. We used that with a FX160 for years.

WildWestDesigns

As I have moved platforms, so I can't swear to how easy it is to do on Windows or Mac, but if you can try to setup your cutter as a printer using raw HPGL and with your design software it should be as easy as File-->Print. This works on my Rolands without a need for a driver (which is a good thing as there are no OEM drivers on my platform of choice).

The downside is that, all of the setup on the file to make it be as efficiently as it can be for cut vinyl production is all on you. You have to know how to set things up manually for the most efficient production. If on a shoestring budget (or on a platform that doesn't get much loving from OEMs), this does work (at least with Rolands).

I use this to cut from Inkscape, so if shoe string budget is the thing, can't really beat that. Just depends on how easy it is to setup RAW HPGL (and your cutter accepts it) and how comfortable you are with manually setting up files for production. Manual nesting, weeding box, overcut etc.

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
THANK YOU!
You guys are always very helpful.
I am in the middle of trying to resolve the issues.

I read each of your opinions and advice.
:)

ARGENTO

Advanced beginner
Thanks to all of your help, and my ex coming to analyze your advice. We could fix the issues.
After all I have learned to do it properly in Illustrator.

Thank You again!
This community is awesome.

My respects! :)