• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cheapest oil available for CNC cutting metals?

MikePro

is anyone using another economically-friendly metal-cutting coolant for their CNC machines I should consider?
I'm currently paying approx. $100/gal from supplier for Trico/TriCool MD-1 vegetable oil-based coolant for the sprayer on our CNC router.
Their $80/gallon synthetic option is too watery, the mister sprays it like a hose rather than a mist as designed.

have an option to purchase a 55gal drum for closer to $30/gal, normally $90/per at this quantity, which would have me set for the next decade.
....buuuut the boss still isn't pleased, citing how he used to simply use soapy water as coolant "back in his day", but I made note that our MDF router-table wouldn't appreciate that mix. water will cause boards to swell, causing me to replace the surface frequently.

is vegetable-oil based coolant that much different than $10/gal vegetable oil?
...possibly cut with an automotive/machining coolant?
I may try to reverse-engineer & create my own mix, but before I dive into a rabbit-hole of MSDS sheets and trial/error experimentation I would be open to a more experienced suggestion to start me in the right direction.

MikePro

does the cold air gun work well on thicker aluminum, like .5-1"?
tempted to add one, regardless, to supplement my existing setup. more cold-air could only help, right?

i've had acceptable cuts with just compressor air for .040, .063, .090 but if I'm not adding lubricant/coolant on 1/8" aluminum...it gets hot FAST.
resulting in, best case, shredded edges from melting aluminum while cutting OR, worst-case, the machine itself absorbs so much heat that I get thrown servo errors.

rossmosh

I believe the both of you are a level or two above me in experience but what I can say is I've found air to be more important than coolant. The air does some cooling of the bit but it really does a great job clearing chips which I've found the biggest issue when doing aluminum.

If you're doing a lot of aluminum, I'd imagine a good air burst and an occasional squirt of coolant might be the best combination.

Here is my cutting setup for cnc router. Thickest aluminum I am usually cutting is 0.5 5052.
Spindle water cooled 3kw.
Endmill single flute O flute. 110ipm 24000rmp
0.65-0.125 per pass depends on shape of the part.
Cold air gun ON,
dust collector ON 1" above cutting material.
Before cutting I apply PB blaster to entire surface of the aluminum
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1338[1].jpg
    IMG_1338[1].jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 215

Andy D

Back in the day, the only thing I used was everyday vegetable oil from the dollar store, and it actually
worked better than the CNC cutting oils... but man, it would coat everything! If I didn't keep up with it,
I would have a 1/2" gooey sludge build up on the side of my router.