• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Christmas time is soon for me....

ikarasu

I wish I had one. We don't do much concrete work so we don't have an sds, just a regular hammer drill.

We've had a lot.of.vandalism so we got.some.security cameras. I'm used to an sds drill... So I told the owner no problem, I can install all 8 cameras around the building and drive through the 10" concrete walls, I've done it plenty of times at other sites.

Took almost an hour to drill one hole on the ancient hammer drill we have....I gave up after the first.

First stop on the way in to work will be to buy an sds hammer drill. Wish I could get the one you linked! But the cheapest will have to do for now...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I wish I had one. We don't do much concrete work so we don't have an sds, just a regular hammer drill.

We've had a lot.of.vandalism so we got.some.security cameras. I'm used to an sds drill... So I told the owner no problem, I can install all 8 cameras around the building and drive through the 10" concrete walls, I've done it plenty of times at other sites.

Took almost an hour to drill one hole on the ancient hammer drill we have....I gave up after the first.

First stop on the way in to work will be to buy an sds hammer drill. Wish I could get the one you linked! But the cheapest will have to do for now...

Man if you won't use it a ton, just grab a 18v Ryobi. They're cheap and work fine.

ikarasu

Man if you won't use it a ton, just grab a 18v Ryobi. They're cheap and work fine.
I'm a big fan of buying for the future. I wont be using it everyday, or even every week... But lets take todays job as an example.

Let's say it takes 20 minutes a hole (we took about 45 mins, but it's likely a dull bit also). 8 Cameras... That's 8 holes for the PoE. Then each camera needs 4 holes per camera... That's 32 more holes. albeit smaller, so we'll say those will take 10 minutes.. again, generous estimating. Thats 480 minutes... exactly 8 hours. Two people working on it during overtime hours... Thats roughly $5-600 in labor. with a good Rotary SDS drill... you can do it in 1/4 the time.. but lets be conservitive and say half the time, as I'm sure the Ryobi SDS will speed things up quite a it.

By buying a rotary, we save $2-300 minimum on this one job... so while I obviously wont purchase a $900 kit, I'd rather drop $4-500 on one that will last us a long time, than a cheap Ryobi. Ryobis are great for tools that get abused / replaced quick... but I prefer dewalt/Makita/Hilti for longer lasting tools.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm a big fan of buying for the future. I wont be using it everyday, or even every week... But lets take todays job as an example.

Let's say it takes 20 minutes a hole (we took about 45 mins, but it's likely a dull bit also). 8 Cameras... That's 8 holes for the PoE. Then each camera needs 4 holes per camera... That's 32 more holes. albeit smaller, so we'll say those will take 10 minutes.. again, generous estimating. Thats 480 minutes... exactly 8 hours. Two people working on it during overtime hours... Thats roughly $5-600 in labor. with a good Rotary SDS drill... you can do it in 1/4 the time.. but lets be conservitive and say half the time, as I'm sure the Ryobi SDS will speed things up quite a it.

By buying a rotary, we save $2-300 minimum on this one job... so while I obviously wont purchase a $900 kit, I'd rather drop $4-500 on one that will last us a long time, than a cheap Ryobi. Ryobis are great for tools that get abused / replaced quick... but I prefer dewalt/Makita/Hilti for longer lasting tools.

Yeah I gotchya....if you're not already into a battery platform, the link Texas posted is a good deal. The only glitch might be it's the older non-compliant dust box. The OSHA-compliant box is DWH302DH.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Drill worked great.There was no way we'd ever go back to a regular hammer drill.

qeKRbaBQyw6JKzEiJF2UzSnmwbWIHFqc1o0hZuB8-mJeHtuSF0RF7viZxZWhO2Dr0doaNkA2drQv01thjpBbkon7M013vus38eZzFX63NrzsMZPUloetXegJMJ_P6okHBOvRIfwKOpA=w493-h657-no

9k8p4Jt0o0txHg3QGBWptbpS_4UBmpoDAK_r_cMVVYlSYCtWAO8pdYg6mGyNCcwn-bCHjgOoVU6kTvY8dv4AraFRUB_GxUjaHDNrW3Dk45lIH_DnuauhjTlGkKui2squ_kaz5tFEP9E=w1280-h623-no

FaihNZoXgGUxIK-4mM6kxQAMRj5rS6CF72Y9vUYwKuOdh-SpAbcYbfYpO5n7F78-iw50YxHNSfSJbRz-A_hX20GjdT_Tm8qXQcJj4mQJMxekO2T6idXzaTyAlvjm1jdptU0O9JlHDU4=w1055-h657-no

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Was that real brick or some kind of faux brick cladding?
Seems like a lot of brick.
We have a few buildings here that have the exterior completely tiled. You step outside and think you are somehow still in the bathroom.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hope you used your tape measure this time. Now onto the second baptist church

:roflmao:

Yes it's real brick...

My guy initially complained about how heavy and big the SDS was and wanted to go back to the regular hammer drill. He got 1/4 of the hole drilled and wanted the SDS back.

Took some getting used to.

Last edited: