Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cintiq vs Intuos

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by The Vector Doctor, Apr 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I have been using a Wacom Intuos for all my vector work and absolutely love it. The next logical step is of course the Cintiq 21

So here is my question. Is it worth it? I know that people in the photoshop world absolutely love it. I rarely read about anyone dissatisfied with the Cintiq. There are fewer reviews regarding vector work. But is it worth $2000?! That is a large chunk of money to part with. Sure it is a big jump to go from a mouse to a Cintiq but I am wondering how much better it is then the tablet? Anyone use their Cintiq along with a 2nd monitor?

I know that Wacom offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy, but I am afraid that I will love it and be $2000 poorer. Not ready to make the jump yet.

Anyone go from an tablet to a Cintiq? Worth it? Ideally I would like to try it out at a retail location but cannot find any place that has one to test out

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I went from an Intuos 3 to the 21UX Cintiq and love it. To me it's worth the 2k. I use it along with 2 other monitors.

To me, it's more natural on the Cintiq compared to doing the work on the Intuos and looking at the screen. With the Cintiq you are doing it right on the screen. I also think that for your niche it would really be useful for the "hand-tracing". I've had to do (and still do) my share of those and it works like a charm.

3. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    What about fatigue? It is so much thicker. I picture having to have a low desk or high chair to get comfortable drawing on it. In the upright mode your arm would get too tired holding it up all day. The tablet is about 1/2 inch thick so no need for a different setup to get comfortable

4. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I have been thinking of getting this guy VD, which you might have already seen in a previous thread. It has Wacom's digitizer in it, and looks to work great for a $1000 less than the Cintiq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZg9bEPm1E

5. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

I don't have issue with fatigue, but I could see were that might be a problem. Now, I will say this, I do like to sit up higher the most people, so that might help me out as well. The desk that I use is normal height that the Cintiq's stand is on, so I don't have any issue with it.

6. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    No way I would get this. Starting at 2:35 or so, the delay on the drawing versus what the screen shows is unacceptable.

7. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    if anyone has a cintiq I would like to see your desk setup out of curiosity. If you don't mind

8. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

I have it.... I love it....

But, If I was to do it again, I would buy 2 of the 12" models since they are easier to manipulate and hold in your arm....

I'll give you a sweet deal on the big one used if you want it. it's spotless...