• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV150-160 Not Using Oldest Cartridges First

JetPress

Long Version: So since the pandemic business has been slow and so it takes awhile before we have to replace ink cartridges with some even expiring before we can use it all. I thought I had it all organized so with writing down the date I installed on them. Well after the holidays many of the inks expired and we started reviewing why things got so unorganized and why I wasted so many cartridges. Turns out that both of CJV150-160 printers are not using the oldest inks first. So for example one cyan that expires in a year is being prioritized over the other cyan that expires in 4 months.

Short Version: Both printers are randomly using ink cartridges and not using them based on which one is expiring first. Is there a setting to tell the printers to use the older inks or is there something wrong with both printers?

JetPress

Hit Function>Machine Setup>Cart. Priority and change the value to 1. That should pull from expired carts first.
I can't seem to find it. I went to check the manual and unless I'm looking in the wrong place but there is no mention of cartridge priority. What is even more odd is the Machine Setup in the manual looks different than mine. Here is what my printer has:

AUTO Power-off
TAKE-UP UNIT
DRYING/EXHAUST FAN
TOP BLOWER
MEDIA REMAIN
MEDIA DETECT
LANGUAGE
TIME SET
UNIT / TEMP
UNIT / LENGTH
KEY BUZZER
VIEW FEED
SPACE FEED MODE
NETWORK
EVENT MAIL
RESET

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sorry I just realized you said CJV150 not the CJV30. On the CJV150 you can't change the cartridge priority. The only way to trick it is to pull the cartridge out yourself to force it to pull from the near expired one.

JetPress

Sorry I just realized you said CJV150 not the CJV30. On the CJV150 you can't change the cartridge priority. The only way to trick it is to pull the cartridge out yourself to force it to pull from the near expired one.
Oh wow that stinks. Maybe they figured it was a useless option if printers were running out of ink before it could expire. Not in our case! Thank you for the information I guess we will need to think of a game plan.

JetPress

By the way how would you trick the machine to pull from the older cartridge? If I take out the newer cartridge it will not run unless both cartridges are inserted.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
By the way how would you trick the machine to pull from the older cartridge? If I take out the newer cartridge it will not run unless both cartridges are inserted.

As long as you have a 4 color setup you can run the machine with only one cartridge of each color. It will give you an error but it should still allow you to print. Pulling one will force it to pull from the other.