• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question CJV30-130

mikewohlwend

I am looking at picking up a CJV30-130 locally and it doesn't come with any software.

It's listed at $3500 is that a good price for a working unit? Or I found one for $7000 that's fully refurbished and comes with a laptop with all the software. Which would be a better deal?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Depends how much the rip costs I’d guess. The machines are easily 10 years old but are absolute tanks (we still have ours, only on the second print head and still works great, just REAAAALY slow compared to our Colorado lol - you’re talking 17m/sq an hour or so.)

We run a decent enough quality to not see banding and managed a roll every 6-7 hours ish. But the thing has ran well over 200,000 sqft and had very minimal troubles.

I’m not up to speed on current exchange rates etc but I’ve seen a few deals on this site and I think $7000 for a 10+ year old machine is pretty excessive. You could easily stretch a little extra and get a brand new Epson or HP.

mikewohlwend

Depends how much the rip costs I’d guess. The machines are easily 10 years old but are absolute tanks (we still have ours, only on the second print head and still works great, just REAAAALY slow compared to our Colorado lol - you’re talking 17m/sq an hour or so.)

We run a decent enough quality to not see banding and managed a roll every 6-7 hours ish. But the thing has ran well over 200,000 sqft and had very minimal troubles.

I’m not up to speed on current exchange rates etc but I’ve seen a few deals on this site and I think $7000 for a 10+ year old machine is pretty excessive. You could easily stretch a little extra and get a brand new Epson or HP.

With a new Epson or HP and then I'd still have the cost of a cutter after buying the printer.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do you have a cutter currently? The mimaki cutter is alright for a print and cut but I run our summa literally 10x faster than I had to run the mimaki to get accurate cuts.

The tracking/accuracy on printer/cutters isn’t great compared to standalone cutters. But it’s still good enough for 90% of jobs that don’t need to be mm accurate.

As i said, 7k for roughly an 11 year old printer is waaaay too much unless it’s had a complete refurb. The technology is naturally miles behind too (no maps, no nozzle correction, doesn’t monitor drop outs)

I’d say the 3500 is fair if it’s in perfect working order and you can get it in your shop relatively hassle free, the software will likely cost you a fair bit though. In the UK we were quoted £1200 for rasterlink when we couldn’t find our key (found it thankfully) but even when rasterlink was free we made the decision to switch to onyx. I really do hate rasterlink

mikewohlwend

Do you have a cutter currently? The mimaki cutter is alright for a print and cut but I run our summa literally 10x faster than I had to run the mimaki to get accurate cuts.

The tracking/accuracy on printer/cutters isn’t great compared to standalone cutters. But it’s still good enough for 90% of jobs that don’t need to be mm accurate.

As i said, 7k for roughly an 11 year old printer is waaaay too much unless it’s had a complete refurb. The technology is naturally miles behind too (no maps, no nozzle correction, doesn’t monitor drop outs)

I’d say the 3500 is fair if it’s in perfect working order and you can get it in your shop relatively hassle free, the software will likely cost you a fair bit though. In the UK we were quoted £1200 for rasterlink when we couldn’t find our key (found it thankfully) but even when rasterlink was free we made the decision to switch to onyx. I really do hate rasterlink

I have a cutter. But it's a Titan 2, so it wouldn't help me in this case.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Doesn’t the Titan 2 support register mark contour cutting? If you get a decent enough rip (not rasterlink, that only supports mimaki) that supports the Titan 2 you can get any printer and still use that cutter?

RebelGraphics

If the printer is working properly, $3.5k is not bad. Download a working demo to try out and run some jobs so it pays for itself