• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30 Can't get all Black nozzles to fire

ZXNutt

Hi all, I recently picked up a CJV30-130 from a company that didn't use it much. They did have genuine mimaki inks. I'm running dual CMYK ES3 (so were they). From the day I bought it, the black test print has had many nozzles missing on the left and some nozzles missing on the right (See Test Print). I have done numerous nozzle washes (Even let soak for a weekend), hard cleanings, normal cleanings, soft cleanings & ink fills. I replaced the cap, wiper and the black dampers and still have basically the same result. The pump pulled ink right down into the head on an ink fill with the new dampers & new cap, so I assume the seal is quite good. ALL of the other colors look great. There isn't any visible damage to the print head. This being my first ecosolvent printer, I need some help! Where do I go from here?

Attachments

• Test Print 6-4-18.jpg
    Test Print 6-4-18.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 876

Neil

Hmm, it's strange that you have 100 percent perfect on all other color channels. Zero nozzles deflecting or missing. Yet both black channels look similarly bad.
I reckon your cap seal is good.

If I were to look at just the black test print, I'd say your head is on the way out, but the fact that all the other colors look so good, I'd start to think it may be your black ink.
Something has clogged the black ink channels. Maybe he used a 3rd party black for a while?

You might be able to syringe some cleaning fluid through the 2 black channels to help clear the nozzles.
Do a search here to find out how to connect it. Much better than doing hard cleanings and ink fills.

That, plus more nozzle washes.

If you're not using cartridges, your black might be getting old and too viscous.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I recently picked up a CJV30-130 from a company that didn't use it much. They did have genuine mimaki inks. I'm running dual CMYK ES3 (so were they). From the day I bought it, the black test print has had many nozzles missing on the left and some nozzles missing on the right (See Test Print). I have done numerous nozzle washes (Even let soak for a weekend), hard cleanings, normal cleanings, soft cleanings & ink fills. I replaced the cap, wiper and the black dampers and still have basically the same result. The pump pulled ink right down into the head on an ink fill with the new dampers & new cap, so I assume the seal is quite good. ALL of the other colors look great. There isn't any visible damage to the print head. This being my first ecosolvent printer, I need some help! Where do I go from here?

Have you tried doing a manual cleaning with some cleaning solution? I would try that before trying to flush the head.

ZXNutt

Have you tried doing a manual cleaning with some cleaning solution? I would try that before trying to flush the head.
I've cleaned all around the head and cap. I set it in another nozzle wash and turned off the main power before I left this evening. What other manual cleaning do you suggest?

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I've cleaned all around the head and cap. I set it in another nozzle wash and turned off the main power before I left this evening. What other manual cleaning do you suggest?

I mean actually taking one of the cleaning applicators with some cleaning solution on it and scrubbing the print head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZXNutt

Is there a way to tell (Short of taking everything apart) if I have a cracked manifold? If I do, could that cause this issue?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It can cause that issue I believe, but Im not sure how you check for it. Maybe VanderJ knows?

Yes cracked manifolds are definitely a thing. You just have to take the dampers off and get a bright flashlight and look at each nipple on the manifold. You can also put your finger on the top and move it back and forth. If it's broken it will not take very much force to wiggle that part. If it is not broken it won't move at all.

JayVal

I'm having a very similar situation with my company's JVC30-160. I've wanted to check parts to see if everything is okay.

Is it always the same nozzles that aren't firing? I believe mine has been consistent in terms of nozzles not firing. We did switch to 3rd party ink cartridges and missing nozzles had started after the switch. I can't recall how long after the ink switch that this started though.

I have also wanted to check parts to see if anything is broken because I'm always reading posts about dampers and all that other good stuff, but I don't know what parts are what and I don't want to break something out of curiosity.

Attachments

• 20180607_TESTPRINT.jpg
    20180607_TESTPRINT.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 604

InstantOneMedia

I'm having a very similar situation with my company's JVC30-160. I've wanted to check parts to see if everything is okay.

Is it always the same nozzles that aren't firing? I believe mine has been consistent in terms of nozzles not firing. We did switch to 3rd party ink cartridges and missing nozzles had started after the switch. I can't recall how long after the ink switch that this started though.

I have also wanted to check parts to see if anything is broken because I'm always reading posts about dampers and all that other good stuff, but I don't know what parts are what and I don't want to break something out of curiosity.

When we switched to Triangle on our JV33, we had the same thing happen to our black nozzles. Replaced the head, and the same thing happened again. Switched to OEM Black, kept Triangle CMY, and the nozzles returned.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber

You're missing a few nozzles but not too bad is it causing issues in your prints? Have you tried a manual cleaning?

On the subject of third party inks. I've never seen the cost savings be worth the potential cost of fixing the problems these inks can cause. You're printer was designed to take the OEM formulation and not any other. In my opinion third party inks aren't worth the risk.

InstantOneMedia

For what we do, those few nozzles were really affecting our print. We go through 8-10 cartridges a week, so the savings made sense. However, the older the machines got, the more frequently we were replacing capping stations and such and the down time and parts no longer made it worthwhile and we've switched back to OEM.

JayVal

When we switched to Triangle on our JV33, we had the same thing happen to our black nozzles. Replaced the head, and the same thing happened again. Switched to OEM Black, kept Triangle CMY, and the nozzles returned.
I think I'm going to suggest this to my boss and see where things go from there. Thanks for sharing!

DropZoneSpec

Did you manage to get your issue remedied? My Jv150-160 is doing the exact same thing as yours! Mimaki and Midwest suggest the head height is too high 0.o I also can't get my Feed Comp to eliminate banding

JayVal

Did you manage to get your issue remedied? My Jv150-160 is doing the exact same thing as yours! Mimaki and Midwest suggest the head height is too high 0.o I also can't get my Feed Comp to eliminate banding
My situation is still the same. Do you show a lot of banding when printing? There are some slight banding on some of our prints, and on others it's not noticeable. The default settings I usually use are 12 pass, bi-directional print, overprint:1. and fast print are selected.

I haven't been able to print a nice rich black for a bit now, could be because of the inks I use or the missing nozzles are what I'm guessing. The darkest I've been able to print looks like a 90-95% black.

On the attached is something I printed last Friday and mounted onto coroplast board, and if there would be banding, it would have been vertical, but I didn't see any on this print.

Attachments

• print quality.jpg
    print quality.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 553

cprvh

Another CJV30 here with the exact same issue. Running dual Mimaki ES3 inks. CMY nozzles are perfect. Both blacks look similar to the photo at the beginning of the post. I print at the highest resolution and get by, but not happy.

lubo1972

We have troubles with black on our JV300. Mimaki have problems with black ink and problem was deflected nozzles. We got new series ink and problem almost dissapear. After that we got magenta problem, one channel disapeared at all. After that next two lines and finaly dead head. We are using BS4 inks from Mimaki. I don't know how makes that inks for Mimaki but for sure they must change it immediately!

Apologize for bad English