• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help CJV30 series contour cutting

Brink

Does anyone know if it is possible to do contour cutting on the cjv30 series if the job contains no crop/registration marks. I've been using this machine for a few years now and it's usually not a problem. Cuts on other than white though seem to be a major problem. I'd like to free up some floor space and get rid of my dedicated cutter. If my CJV could do colors it would be possible.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Do I understand you correctly? You want to cut pre-colored vinyls? Not just print and cut stuff on white?

Brink

Do I understand you correctly? You want to cut pre-colored vinyls? Not just print and cut stuff on white?
Yes, your understanding is correct. I want to cut colored vinyl that has no cropmarks printed in the job. I do so little of strictly cutting that I'd like to free my floor space of a dedicated machine.

MixMaker

Yes, your understanding is correct. I want to cut colored vinyl that has no cropmarks printed in the job. I do so little of strictly cutting that I'd like to free my floor space of a dedicated machine.

Absolutely you can use it as a stand alone cutter, stand alone printer, or the combination. If you're using FineCut, instead of clicking "Register Mark" to detect the marks, simply click "Plot" after you've measured the media width of course.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah if you have been trying to cut only from Rasterlink it won't work like you think it will. You have to use the FineCut plot function.

equippaint

I cut out of rasterlink with no problems and never use finecut. Do your layout in ai or corel, add your cut contour lines and send it over as eps or pdf. IIRC you do have to convert text to curves. Change your speed and pressure if needed and select cut. As long as you dont setup cropmarks in RL it wont look for them. Can do the same with roland through VW

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I cut out of rasterlink with no problems and never use finecut. Do your layout in ai or corel, add your cut contour lines and send it over as eps or pdf. IIRC you do have to convert text to curves. Change your speed and pressure if needed and select cut. As long as you dont setup cropmarks in RL it wont look for them. Can do the same with roland through VW

Usually when I have tried to do a cut only file through Rasterlink it cuts the file in half or the scale will be off for some reason. Maybe Rasterlink 6 has fixed this? Anyway, you should try FineCut. All you have to do is make your artwork and then hit the plot button. Sounds like it would be a faster workflow for you.

Brink

Is there some FineCut stand alone program that I am unaware of? I'm using Finecut 8.6 and it's a plugin for Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. I can't seem to find this "plot" function. It should be noted that my art/design computer is not connected directly to the printer via USB. I have a dedicated rip computer running Rasterlink that is used as a "print server". So when i output a job that involves finecut, I click the rasterlink button in the finecut control panel of the plugin. I am presented with the finecut output window that has 3 tabs - Print - Cut - and Print & Cut. Set the page size and verify that the job looks as expected and then hit the output button. The job is then sent to "rip computer/printserver" that is specified in the hotfolder dialog box. The job then appears in the job list of Rasterlink on the print server. From there I choose "cut after rip and print" or "cut only" as appropriate. Can't seem to find a "plot" button anywhere in that workflow. Obviously, I'm doing it wrong. Can one of you fine folks please point out the error of my ways?

BTW. Other jobs that require no cut (print only jobs), are printed through the regular print dialog via a dummy driver that was included on the Rasterlink disk.

Brink

Nevermind I see in the user manual that the plot button is the first top left button of the FineCut control panel. Seems that the computer that has the art program and the FineCut has to be directly connect via USB to use this functionality. Thanks for the answers and it did help. Looks like that part of these floor changes need to include putting the printer and art pc near enough to each other to allow for direct USB connection.

Neil Stimpson

Dirt Industries Graphics
Evening Everyone, hopefully this thread will come back to life lol. I am coming from a shop that used Roland Versa Works with a VG540, to now my own shop with a Mimaki CJV30-160. I am using RasterLink 6 and I use all Adobe CC software on my Mac for design. I am very familiar with doing this in the Roland world but having issues with the new setup.
Question is - Can you set up a Cut and a Half Cut (ie I am creating the cut line and half cut line on separate layers and 2 different spot colors) in Illustrator CC and save the file and open it directly in RasterLink 6. So far I have had no luck trying it this way. Since I am using Adobe CC I don't have the option to use the Fincut Plug-in for Illustrator.
When I load the file into Raster Link 6 I see it reading the 2 cut lines separate but then it will combined the 2 into one cut file and there is no way to set the 2 cut types. Hopefully Im just missing something simple.

Thanks in advance.