• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Class/course On Emergency Vehicle Graphics Design/installation

Dennis Schaub

I do quite a bit of graphics on emergency type of vehicles, and I would like to do more. There are so many specialty issues/problems to navigate around, I was wondering if anyone offered workshop on doing this kind of work. I have learned a ton over my years and I sure there are plenty of other out there just like me. I would love to learn more without having to make mistakes.

Cheers!
Dennis

printhog

What kind of info do you want to see? I'm working with a publishing group to make self paced sign industry courses based on defined standards. Would something like that be interesting?

There are national standards for school buses in the federal laws, even defining "national school bus yellow" as a color only for school buses.

For fire those specs will be issued by the agency, be it federal state or local. Every firetruck is custom built to the specs defined by the purchaser. Each apparatus lasts 20 years tho. So it's a one time sale.

There are NIOSH and OSHA rules that intersect with those specs and are usually Incorporated by mention. Of particular interest is the workplace safety sections for emergency vehicle operations and the emergency scene signage now required to be displayed. Good money there

As for cops, theyre wide open as their fleet graphics design (livery) is a prominent point of pride for the folks in blue. Literally sell this by contacting the fleet manager or chief of every Dept your willing to serve.

A growing sector of high-end livery work is towing and recovery. They are becoming more aware of the risks from idiot drivers, and are keen to use the diamond grade films for maximum visibility. This is a challenging product to work with, is expensive, and needs some special equipment, but the results are several thousand $ on graphics per tow truck, and an insurance savings for them. Look at their fleet, roadside assistance trucks also need that visibility.

I'd suggest you study 3Ms website for reflective films for detailed instructions, as well as oracals website. Avery isn't much of a player in the reflective films market any more.

Pricing is premium, I often get in excess of $30 PSF. There's no reason to sell this stuff cheap.

As for great standards.. look to our friends over the pond, where the markings have standards based on visual science. They may seem ugly but they are most visible. Emergency vehicles here are caught in a time warp.

its only a freaking sign!

Last edited:

Dennis Schaub

Great info, thank you! Like I mentioned I have put lettering and striping on many fire trucks (dozens), but I know I have more to learn. For example, chevron striping on the rear of a fire truck in mandated by the NFPA, says it needs to be alternating red/yellow, upside down V, etc etc. Previously, I had used the 6" rolls and applied to the back of the truck, just recently found out on signs101 that you can now purchase it in sheets, great info! I would love to know more info like that. Applying reflective striping to roll up doors is painfully slow, I am sure someone has tips out there how to do it better, etc etc etc. The sales and marketing aspect is interesting also, but I am thinking more of a "application class" I guess. I can throw a stone and hit 100 "wrap classes", but nothing on emergency vehicles.

printhog

It's not just lettering tho.. there is a part of it that requires respect for the insignia and the fire service. No corner cutting.. Pretty much use your best skills and media to make quality the most important thing.

Fire engine builders like Pierce and Rosenbauer, and their predecessors like VanPelt, American Lafrance, Coach, and Howe have always had very talented leafers and signwriters on staff because the best quality is a sign of respect for the fire fighting family.. its nostalgic and steeped in tradition.

(3rd gen FF here )

Your work is representing the department's and the communities they serve.

OK enough pomp... CHEVRONS.. There's also a Chevron material for tread bright plate .. is patented. Small circles of red and hi vis yellow diamond grade made just for the rear panels that are diamond plate. The dots fit into the flat section between the raised textures. AMAZING

its only a freaking sign!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well, Dennis, It kinda sounds like with the experience you have, maybe you should think about conducting some workshops, yourself.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It seems two trucks are never the same, but maybe a list of "tips" for this type of job could be compiled.
Avery and Oracal have materials that are NFPA compliant for chevron striping, so you are not locked into 3M DG material, but everyone usually makes you match what they are already using.

Go ahead and switch now to the Reflexite Chevron Strips whenever possible. It will save you WAY more in time than you lose in the expense, and you don't have to worry about those pointy corners popping up.
FireHouseDecals.com sells DiamonDiamonds that allow you to chevron diamondplate. There are a bunch (8?) of different types of diamond plate with different spacing/sizes, so give them a call and they will send you the template so you make sure you order the right kind.
For roll-up doors, never use DiamondGrade if you can avoid it. 3M Diamond Grade requires you to edge-seal along every exposed edge.
Never cut on painted roll-up doors. Pre-cut/space the pieces and use a clear mask to apply them.
A Gerber Edge printer & plotter is a life-saver in the emergency vehicles market.

JoeRansom

I've done rescue and ambulances for 10 years and probably 300 trucks a year. You can hit me up for any questions if you like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Billct2

Actually a lot of the police depts around here are going back to simpler black & white schemes. I was told it was to make identifying what types of vehicles are what easier.
I'm glad, I never really liked cop cars looking like funny cars anyhow.

I specialize in fire apparatus lettering, but I work on many other emergency vehicles and big trucks. There has been some great advice posted already, and I definitely agree with what was said as far as using only the best materials and taking your time to do good design work. Some may disagree with me, but in my opinion there is a right way and a wrong way to letter and stripe a fire truck. It is an art that goes back to the beginnings of firefighting, when bucket brigades would decorate their fire buckets to make them unique. It was, and still is a pride and ownership thing. The art work continued to get better and better up through the hand pumpers and steam fire engines and then on into the early days of motorized apparatus. But then somewhere along the line, we started to lose track of that pride that used to go into decorating firefighting equipment. It has become the norm (at lest in my area) to tell the fire department they are getting real gold leaf, grab a roll of Sign Gold, choose one of several stock computer fonts (copperplate), cut it out and then layer it on top of some black intermediate vinyl. Now, don't get me wrong... if used properly, materials like Sign Gold aren't that bad. But there is nothing that looks as good as genuine 23 kt. hand laid gold leaf. Materials are only a small part of the equation though, good design work is even more important. There are specific fire apparatus fonts, certain scrolls that were commonly used by certain manufacturers, "standard" striping widths, murals, scrambles... etc. I have spent more time researching fire apparatus lettering and striping over the past few years than I have actually making graphics, but that just comes with the territory. Sorry to get long winded, but good quality fire truck work is something I'm very passionate about! If there is anything I can help you with feel free to send me a message.

printhog

Great topic... Traditional sized gold leaf has is place on certain equipment. Seeing a classic engine restored only to have sign gold laid on it is almost insulting.

But for modern apparatus, with mandated visibility and crew safety as the foremost rule, the days of gold leaf are likely going behind us. As a firefighter, I'd much rather work next to an engine covered in diamond grade chevrons and body stripes any day or night. Fact is I'd rather see visibility standards like they use in Europe. And gold leaf doesn't fit that any longer.

I think engine turned gold was a simple way to get retro reflective results from materials long before reflective films. The prismatic effect works in all light conditions. And it looks nice in firelight.

I got some of my start in hand painting sign making by leafing my district's engines as a teenager decades ago. My chiefs believed in my talents. And I looked at everything for how they did it.. I copied the scrolls and asphaltum shading the older engines had and learned from that. I'm thankful to have seen that work and followed it. The manufacturers of the 50s thru 70s really had talented staff leafing those machines.

I'd suggest you compile a collection of the old time works.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk