• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"classy" A-frames

legacyborn

I have recently aquired a client that is a little more high class than my usual farmer/contractor type.

They run an old victorian B&B and are looking for a high quality, classy A-frame to use at different parts of their property.

Is my only option to build it myself? Is there a prefab one that looks less like plastic and more classy?

Has anyone built one like this that might be able to help me with specs?

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna hafta build it.

The only specs are..... how big does the client want it and make a frame to fit those size requirements. It's about the easiest thing to build.... seriously.

legacyborn

Those are nice, thank you.

Does anyone know of where I could find a production one that is a "full bleed" where I can install graphics to the edge and that doesn't have a visible border or handle? ? Preferably one with a nice capped edge. I know I can make one, but I'm trying to oursource as much as possible.

Similar to this one (I know its very possible they just made this one, just curious if there is a good source for prefab)

Thanks!

Attachments

• A-Frame wood with chalk look.jpg
    A-Frame wood with chalk look.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 304

DerbyCitySignGuy

I have recently aquired a client that is a little more high class than my usual farmer/contractor type.

They run an old victorian B&B and are looking for a high quality, classy A-frame to use at different parts of their property.

Is my only option to build it myself? Is there a prefab one that looks less like plastic and more classy?

Has anyone built one like this that might be able to help me with specs?

Thanks!

Order a wooden chalkboard A-frame, remove the chalkboard, put your sign in. Mark it up and sell it!

Marlene

Order a wooden chalkboard A-frame, remove the chalkboard, put your sign in. Mark it up and sell it!

this is a good idea. you could make an a-frame it isn't that hard. it sounds like they are only looking for one. get some nice wood and go for it

legacyborn

this is a good idea. you could make an a-frame it isn't that hard. it sounds like they are only looking for one. get some nice wood and go for it

Sorry, They are actually looking for 7 for parking instructions and other wayfinding. that is why I am hesitant to create one because I am not the best wood worker and while one might be good, making 7 I would worry I can't get them to all look close enough to pass as professional

Marlene

Sorry, They are actually looking for 7 for parking instructions and other wayfinding. that is why I am hesitant to create one because I am not the best wood worker and while one might be good, making 7 I would worry I can't get them to all look close enough to pass as professional

sounds like buying the chalkboard one and converting that might be your best bet. if they really want high end, it might be something to draw up what you wnat and have them made for you by a wood worker. why do they want a-frames for wayfinding? why not a nice sign instead

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Okay, let's use your head a little bit, here.

You figure out how tall the sign is to be and make 24pcs for legs from either a 2" x 4" or 2" x 3" Make sure you add an extra 3 or 4 inches for the bottom feet. Decide how wide you want it and cut 24pcs to fit in-between the upright legs. So far, so good ?? Now, whatever you finished size is, you cut whatever substrate you wish for a face piece and make it fit with the 3 or 4 extra inches left exposed for feet. You can get two hinges from the local hardware store, or a piano hinge or get a PVC hinge from a local sign supplier and attach that at the top. Last, figure how wide your legs are gonna open up, cut a piece of decorative chain and screw it to two opposite legs so the thing won't open further than your desired span. Now you're ready to apply your print/message to the face. Nothing more than a frame-type carpenter skills are necessary for this. If you wanna get fancy, you can cut a curve or some fancy-schmancy thing at the top and now it's decorative.

For all of your cuts, use a jig or a stop, to make sure everything that is supposed to be similar ends up being precisely the same size. That's the key ingredient. For something like that, you should easily get $350 to $450 a pop and only have about $50 a pop invested, including your prints.

jkdbjj

I sell these somewhat regularly. I custom apply vinyl lettering for golf courses to write their green info on it, and other uses. However the link seems to be acting funny right now, so keep checking it to see if it is right for you. Customers love these things and it is a fancy country club.

Oh, and I sell these for up to 450.00 and throw in markers or chalk, their choice.

(The company said they are doing something to the system and should be up momentarily)

21 x 34 A-frame Chalkboard, Black Wet Erase Surface, Removable Boards, 2 Sided, Black

Last edited:

Marlene

this oen doesn't bleed to the sedge but it sure would work for a Victorian style B & B.

Attachments

• a frame.jpg
    a frame.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 264

Billct2

Go to a company like "Displays2go" and look under restaurant signs. There are lots of higher end sandwich signs. they are usually dry erase or chalk, we just go right over that with either a print or a print on pvc.

legacyborn

sounds like buying the chalkboard one and converting that might be your best bet. if they really want high end, it might be something to draw up what you wnat and have them made for you by a wood worker. why do they want a-frames for wayfinding? why not a nice sign instead
Excellent question. It's mostly for finding parking lots and your way to places from the parking lots, and they change which parking lots they use during different times of the year.

sardocs

The picture is a little blurry, and the sign isn't finished in the pic, but here is an option we did for a client who wanted something a little classier than a plastic A frame.

Attachments

• sidewalk sign.jpg
    sidewalk sign.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 258

sardocs

Thanks for the kind comments. It is just 3/4" Crezon MDO jigsawn to shape and fitted to the bases with slots. Weldbond glue or gorrilla glue to hold together. General Paint Marine enamel for the background, airbrushed highlights, HP cast vinyl lettering and a bit of old school striping for a border. A pictorial of an antique sewing machine filled in the centre portions. It's too long ago to remember what I charged, but I've always been fair to my clients. Probably around $500, maybe less....