• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear coat for banners

Billct2

I have a client who is insisting on a clear coat for some double sided street pole banners about 18"x36".
I was thinking a liquid applied after they are sewn may be the best way to go. I know there are a few products out there but just wanted to hear from anyone who has actually used one of them to see how it worked.
Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Frog Juice or ClearShield. Frog Juice would most likely need to be cut to prevent too much spidering.

Billct2

Yea, I was thinking Clear Shield, which we don't use a lot. I use Frog Juice on Edge prints but don't like the idea of doing something larger & double sided with it.Like you said it can get ropey and stays soft for a while. Plus I left out one detail, they don't want a glossy finish so Clear Shield comes in satin and matte. I just wanted to see if others had used it successfully on banners like these.

tbullo

Superunknown
We have used Clear shield on outdoor banners. Some have been up 7 years with good results.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Frog Juice or ClearShield. Frog Juice would most likely need to be cut to prevent too much spidering.

Frog Juice? Seriously? The only thing I've found Frog Juice to be good for is sealing MDF panels so vinyl will stick to them. Only a sick twisted mind would put Frog Juice on a solvent print.

Clear Shield, on the other hand, is just the thing for coating banners and anything else for that matter. Be sure and use 'Classic' nee 'Original Formula'. Apply Clear Shield before finishing the banner not after. I thin it until it's the consistency of whole milk then use a foam brush, mop it on and smooth it out. It doesn't take much but you want to wet the entire surface, never anything approaching dry brush. The stuff pretty much is self-leveling as long as you don't leave any pools.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Frog Juice? Seriously? The only thing I've found Frog Juice to be good for is sealing MDF panels so vinyl will stick to them. Only a sick twisted mind would put Frog Juice on a solvent print.

Clear Shield, on the other hand, is just the thing for coating banners and anything else for that matter. Be sure and use 'Classic' nee 'Original Formula'. Apply Clear Shield before finishing the banner not after. I thin it until it's the consistency of whole milk then use a foam brush, mop it on and smooth it out. It doesn't take much but you want to wet the entire surface, never anything approaching dry brush. The stuff pretty much is self-leveling as long as you don't leave any pools.

Well, not really. I'm not sick, nor twisted and I've used it quite successfully on both thermal and solvent prints with absolutely no problems. If one knows what they're doing, it's a very good combination. However, as I mentioned for the faint of heart people, ClearShield is a great product, too. We stock both types by the case in our shop. We stock them in liquid and rattle cans.

d fleming

Been a long time but clear shield is what I used when I had a printer with pigmented inks. Foam roller is easy enough.

Billct2

Thanks. I'm going to go with Clearshield, and thanks for the tip about original formula and pre fabrication Bob.
THOUGH i am a fan of frogjuice for my edge prints.