• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear coat over cut vinyl?

Mr Big City Signs

I've gotten a request to paint a clear coat over computer cut reflective vinyl, they said that it would add to the longevity. I have always understood that it's not helpful at all and might cause more problems. Has anyone got any experience with doing this, or any ideas about if it's good or bad or …? Thanks!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's actually getting cleared ?? The decal before going down or once it's on the substrate ??

darby07

At my shop we put clear on computer cut vinyl all day. We do one of two different processes to achieve this. We screen print a clear flood over the vinyl before plotting, or we apply a clear overlam before plotting. Not only does it increase the longevity, but it makes it easier to install.

visual800

We do this all the time also we only use high solids clear. All you have to do is cuff it, wipe down with alcohol and clear over it. If your not setup to clear take to a body shop. We use 3 part clear from ppg and it aint cheap