• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear Epoxy over Decal?

x2chris7x

Just had a customer call about getting a decal printed that he's wanting to apply to a conference table and seal over it with some kind of clear epoxy... He also mentioned something about the decal being perforated... Has anyone had any experience with anything like this?

My first thought was to print, laminate, then contour cut to shape... Was only gonna laminate it b/c I'm not sure how the inks would react to whatever he's using to seal it...

Get Lucky

people have been using [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]minwax poly acrylic (blue can, water wash up) for conrhole boards with our decals for a couple years now. I personally haven't don't it but seems to be working for them.[/FONT]

Attachments

• 11416146_955615174489277_5890721447263999295_n.jpg
    11416146_955615174489277_5890721447263999295_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 940

getcustomized

I did a laminated floor sticker along with some black calendered vinyl a while back. Then applied clear epoxy. After a few days the pieces with laminate bubbled up all over the place but the black calendered vinyl was perfect.

player

people have been using minwax poly acrylic (blue can, water wash up) for conrhole boards with our decals for a couple years now. I personally haven't don't it but seems to be working for them.

I wouldn't play a game called Cornhole.

Logoadv

I wouldn't play a game called Cornhole.

You are missing out then. Call it by another name if you want, but its a fun game to play at a beach or back yard party... until people that are really good show up and ruin it by making 20 shots in a row.
We made these with drops from 3/4" PVC. Ended up being a little slicker than a painted plywood board, so it ups the difficulty level, but you can leave them outside at the beach house and not worry about them rotting.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tiki_cornhole.jpg
    tiki_cornhole.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 4,878

x2chris7x

I did a laminated floor sticker along with some black calendered vinyl a while back. Then applied clear epoxy. After a few days the pieces with laminate bubbled up all over the place but the black calendered vinyl was perfect.

Do you let your prints out-gas over night before laminating?

MikePro

that's a debate for solvent printing in general, which I have always sided with "better safe than sorry".
although I've whipped-up printed/laminated decals in an hour and they've held up just fine.

+1, however, to laminating the prints prior to coating the boards else chance your prints bleeding-out.
doesn't matter your choice of media either. you can literally print these on paper and polycoat over it and they last just fine.
(plenty of bars & countertops done the same way, with postercards & dollar bills embedded)

getcustomized

Yes I had actually let them gas out for 3 days before laminating. Just the epoxy itself would not bond to the laminate and the result was tons of bubbles. Here is a photo. Ignore the scuff marks that came from a Hi Lo running it over.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,941

x2chris7x

Yes I had actually let them gas out for 3 days before laminating. Just the epoxy itself would not bond to the laminate and the result was tons of bubbles. Here is a photo. Ignore the scuff marks that came from a Hi Lo running it over.
attachment.php

What kind of laminate do you use?

x2chris7x

Oh ok, I assuming in was gloss too? Just wondering if a matte laminate would help the epoxy adhere... or maybe even scuffing the gloss laminate with some sandpaper before applying the epoxy?

getcustomized

Oh ok, I assuming in was gloss too? Just wondering if a matte laminate would help the epoxy adhere... or maybe even scuffing the gloss laminate with some sandpaper before applying the epoxy?

Hmm IDK thats a great question. Yes this was glossy laminate. The matte may make a big difference. Also scuffing might do the trick. Either way, let it sit for at least 3 days to check for bubbling.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have done it several times for people for bar tops. Never laminated (glad I did not try) just printed on good cast vinyl and cut. Then applied to the bar top and flood coated with a thick self leveling clear epoxy. Worked great!

x2chris7x

Thanks for all the info. I guess now it's up to the customer... We gave him all the info mentioned here, so whatever he decides, we will make. We also gave him the option to take some samples that he could experiment with, but he declined... Saying he didn't have time to play around with it. I hope it all works out for him