• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear printable vinyl for windows

Baz

Like the title says ... I am looking for a clear vinyl that i could print on and install on interior office windows.

Size of panels are in the 40" wide by 84" high. I have three of them to do.

Opacity of colors is not an issue with this since i would be printing construction blueprints.
So the drawing lines and marker notes is what would be printed.

Right now my only suggestion to my client is printing on etched vinyl (Mactac has a line of printable etched vinyl).
He is not against the idea but i know he really would prefer to be able to see clearly through the glass.

Are there any materials available?
What about static cling?
Could you do up that size of panel with it?
Would it stay for a long time?

Any help or thought would be great!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What about just vectorizing the blueprints and cutting blue vinyl? Most clear vinyls look like crap when viewed on glass....hazy, distorted.

Baz

Vectorizing and cutting is not an option.

It's a Photoshop montage of three of their own plans. (Pictures of the plans)
So there is a visible paper gradient appearing as well.

bigben

If you want an optically clear vinyl, you can go with 3M 8150. But I had good success with the general formulations 255 and it's a bit cheaper than 3M.

Baz

Hey, thanks for the suggestions guys :thumb:

I went and looked at the 3550 ClearSol and saw Grimco as a supplier. Contacted them and they did give me a price which
fits in my budget but it is a new product and being in Canada ... Grimco Montreal is going to check availability for me.

I will look into BigBen's suggestions as well.

Anyone ever use 3651 Clear vinyl? I have lots of that stuff but will it look smudgy because of the adhesive?
If no one has tried it, i will try a sample window.

bigben

Anyone ever use 3651 Clear vinyl? I have lots of that stuff but will it look smudgy because of the adhesive?
If no one has tried it, i will try a sample window.

I have tried the 3651 clear and it did not look very good because of the adhesive like you said. If you want a good result, go with an optically clear product.

boxerbay

you havent stated what type of printer you have.

oracal 290GF is optically clear and solvent printable.
GF 205 is also solvent printable clear but not optically clear.

Baz

What's the difference between 3651 clear and 3641 clear?
I'm looking at Orafol's site and there does not seem to be much difference in it's application.

Edit: I am using a Roland VS540

Baz

I don't wish to buy a 150' roll of material for just three 7 foot windows. Especially cast material

I can get 82 feet of Etched Matcac material.
The Sihl ClearSOL WetCling mateiral comes in a 42"x100' (two other sizes available) with a really close price tag to Mactac's option.

I really hope Grimco comes back to me with an availability of the ClearSol stuff because after watching the video, looks pretty sweet to work with.

boxerbay

3641 is not clear it is white and has grey backed adhesive.
3651 is available in clear.

call fellers and you can buy 290GF in 30' rolls. 30" 36" 54" 60"

Baz

I have another supplier in Montreal that i buy my Oracal products from.
I will inquire with them about shorter rolls of 290 GF.

Thank you for your help.

petepaz

Mactac IMAGin B-Free JT 5999M BF Series Permanent 3.1mil Print Vinyl

i haven't used this on windows yet but it does a pretty good job on equipment. i made 2ft x 3ft logo printed decals and with the air release it had very minimal visual issues with the adhesive. i would try a sample first but the material printed pretty good and easy to install

sfr table hockey

I have oracal 3620 removable clear laminate and it will print nice with eco sol inks but it is not a clear view through it. It will have a blurred look.

Kind of like putting anything other than an optically clear laminate over window perf, nothing else will give a clear view.

I also have an anti graffiti lam that is about as good as optically clear but both are pricey.

Baz

Thanks Gino. Definitely bookmarked that site :thumb:

Still waiting on Grimco for availability of the ClearSOL WetCling stuff but also contacted another supplier and am waiting for availability
on a product called Opti-Clear.
SQ. FT. pricing is more than the other materials i was looking at but it is available in a 10 yard length so it still falls within budget.

I wish i was in the US with so many options. But there is a time frame that this has to be done and i am trying to go through with existing suppliers
or at least within Canada. Still looking at US products but they have to have a Canadian distributor available to make purchasing/shipping easier.

Thanks for all the help. It is greatly apreciated :toasting:

Baz

Just got a call from Grimco and i just ordered a 42"x100' roll of Sihl ClearSOL WetCling.
Expected to arrive within 5 business days.

Thank you x2chris7x for your suggestion.
Really looking forward and am curious to work with this material (especially since it has no adhesive).
Looks promising.

If the job is a success i will post a photo.
If i screw it up i will say nothing (just kidding :ROFLMAO:)