Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clever image in the news today

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by CES020, Sep 4, 2012.

1. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Without turning this into an iPhone pro/against thread, the new iPhone is coming out soon, being announced on the 12th of this month. It's the "iPhone 5", announced on the 12th.

I did think the graphic for the invitation they sent out was clever. I had to do a double take on it to catch it. Very clean, very simple, and I thought it was kind of clever. I like the shadow detail part.

What do you think about the graphic? (no iPhone comments, please)

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Outstanding clever indeed

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    Hype.

Something Apple is known for.

4. CES020

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    It's really sad when you can't even look at a logo without getting into the "Apple sucks" mantra.

5. oldgoatroper

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta

How did you get that out of my simple statement of fact?

A little sensitive, maybe?

6. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Pretty cool design. Goes to show simple is often better.

7. CES020

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Because I didn't ask if anyone thought it was hype. I simply posted because I thought it was a clever graphic. Instead of commenting that it was or wasn't, or not posting at all, you picked up the same old "Apple is hype" theme.

It's really sad we can't even talk about a graphic, irregardless of who it's for.

8. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Uh oh, you said irregardless. jk

Yes it is clever. Many times in the past, Apple faithful have picked apart their "announcement" graphics looking for hints as to what was being announced. This one is a bit more obvious

9. john1

john1 Guest

Not sure about anyone else but i am over the "oh my gosh the new apple products are coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe cause i am getting older (still young but you know what i mean)

I have a iPad and a iPhone, They simply work smoothly vs any other platforms i have tried. Big whoop.

10. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    I'm the biggest Apple fan there is, but I think the image looks more like Microsoft (or Samsung) trying to copy Apple. That being said, I can't wait for it to come out as I am eligible for the discounted upgrade.

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

This is something which has often times really baffled me.
    :Oops: Okay, the design is cute. Enough about that, now onto drama...........

• How is it, these companies year after year keep coming out with the new and improved version, when last year it was 110% the tops in it's field ?? I guess what I mean is... hasn't anyone ever made a mistake and not improved on it throughout the year, which would mean one wouldn't have to upgrade that year ??
    • Or...... what if they made some huge improvements and wouldn't have to upgrade for four years or so ??
    • How do they always manage to only invent or market a year at a time ??
    • Why must you pay for the model you have, if it's not a good version, since you KNOW, next year they're gonna make it better.... or at least appear better ??

12. oldgoatroper

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    You put your finger on it right there, Pat... I think maybe a better word is "subtle"

Clever? Maybe a bit. Original? Definitely not. Shadowing/reflecting an object with a different object has been done many times.

13. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    apple sucks.

14. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    ahahaaa

15. john1

john1 Guest

Lol

16. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Does it not bother anybody that there is no shadow from the top half of the 2? The shadows just don't jive.

Had someone been REALLY creative and, dare I say REALISTIC, it could have said "I5" (with the correct typeface).

Dang....I coulda gotten like a bazillion bucks for that idea!

JB

17. 2972renfro

2972renfro Member

Jul 8, 2005
    No, it is not supposed to be a correct shadow. How creative would it be to make it exact? The ad is not groundbreaking but rather efffective

18. All-SignZ

All-SignZ Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    looks like a kids toy. I haven't seen it on tv or in any print, but i dont watch nickelodeon or mtv anymore.

19. oldgoatroper

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    It looks odd to me. They didn't use Myriad.

Maybe its a fake add that some "enthusiast" whipped up.

Maybe.....

20. 2972renfro

2972renfro Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Lots of hostility towards Apple. If you mention Android, Samsung, HTC, etc you don't get the same reactions

If apple cured cancer, ended hunger and brought world peace most would still *****

21. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Lotsa 'IF's there. :doh:

It's easier to stay with the issue at hand, rather than go off on some tangent and look silly.

22. oldgoatroper

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    So, in your mind, does critical analysis of an ad constitute hatred toward a company?

That's probably because the vast majority of people that have these "other" devices don't go out of their way to celebrate not-so-clever, unoriginal ads...