• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client wants photo for background for a large entrance sign....can it work?

SuncitySigns

Hi guys I have a client that wishes to use a photo of pool/grassed area for a backdrop for a large entrance sign to a shopping centre for where they are located.

They are full service pool & spa shop who also sell outdoor furniture, fake grass etc etc

There logo (They already have) would go in the centre and at each end they wish to have a few things they do/supply with the photo behind.

The sign will measure 7m L x 1.2m H (23 ft x 4ft) an sit in a group of 5 other signs.

One pic is where the sign will go being the big white space and the other is just a rough idea of want they were wanting.

Question being has anybody used a photo in a background succsessfully, can I make it work before I go out an purchuse a proper photo & get stuck into designing something???
:thankyou:

Attachments

• Splash Entrance Sign.jpg
    Splash Entrance Sign.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Entrance Sign.jpg
    Entrance Sign.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 74

Joe Diaz

I would talk them out of it. It's too distracting. Do they want the passersby to look at pretty photos, or read their sign? I would also lose the laundry list.

SuncitySigns

Yep I thought that may be said.
Also this sign will be veiwable from the main rd but not for very long at all so there is not a lot of time to take in much.

Mosh

Let me guess...they gave you a business card with the pics on it to use too...."just use these"
PITA or like I call them FIC......spell that out yourself....

SuncitySigns

No no here take the pic off my buisness card....been there delt with that!!:banghead:

I will try to talk them out of the photo background.

With no shopping list at either of the sign its going to be hard to fill up the avaible space considering the logo must remain as it is....or should I play the less is more approach.

Attachments

• Entrance Sign 1.jpg
    Entrance Sign 1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 58

GypsyGraphics

you need to make better use of the space, and while "Splash" may be the name of the company, the words POOL & SPA should be more prominent for potiental customers passing by.

as a side note, it should read either POOL & SPA or POOLS & SPAS, personally i think pool & spa reads better

SplashSign.jpg

SuncitySigns

Thankyou Gypsy. :U Rock:

Your layout screams out yet is very simple and fast to read given the amount time people will have to read it from the HWY.

Im just hoping they let me modify the logo....

Attachments

• Entrance Sign 1.jpg
    Entrance Sign 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 66

Marlene

if they insist on using the photo, pull all the copy off from it and do it like GG showed with the photo used just as a visual support for the copy

GypsyGraphics

Thankyou Gypsy. :U Rock:

Your layout screams out yet is very simple and fast to read given the amount time people will have to read it from the HWY.

Im just hoping they let me modify the logo....

LET YOU MODIFY THE LOGO? if that's an issue for them... tell them their designer should have taken various layouts and forms of use into consideration, when developing their corporate identity.

if they take the "don't mess with my logo" stance... use this is your advantage and impress them by explaining the absolute necessity for several versions of their logo. razzle dazzle them by creating specs for their logo use. show them how affective it is to pull out an element of the logo, to be used as an icon.

do a little homework on how to create logo version for varied uses.

SuncitySigns

Morning guys.

Thanks for all the constructive talk (Specially Gypsy)!!

I have armed myself with Dans story from signcraft, written down a few quotes from this thread and of course the layouts.

Will be going in to see the client today.

SuncitySigns

Well client was more then impressed with my little presentation and will now be going with the much more simple layout for her sign and has also opted to get me to do a 40' x 40' wall print inside her warehouse using a photo of a pool/grass area.

Also asked could I do up a file of options of her logo to use in differnet circumstances like Dan has done in the article Gypsy put up.

So all in all Perfect outcome!!

Thanks all for the help, so glad got back into this industry and found this website :)