• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client wants to Puchase a (re)design

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
So, i have a client who wants to take some files i re-created for them onto a flash drive. Basically, a re-created sign to fix their design and presentation needs. They ended up buying three very small table top banners. Now, they want the files. The did pay for a design fee for standing in the shop for two hours and hashing out the actual designs.

Should i..

1. Give them the files for free?
2. Give them print files but keep the masters?
3. Charge them 50.00 for the files?
4. Charge more for the files?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Mosher the great

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, i have a client who wants to take some files i re-created for them onto a flash drive. Basically, a re-created sign to fix their design and presentation needs. They ended up buying three very small table top banners. Now, they want the files. The did pay for a design fee for standing in the shop for two hours and hashing out the actual designs.

So, they did pay for what you already have done.

Should i..

1. Give them the files for free?
Yes, why not ??
2. Give them print files but keep the masters?
Give them everything you have, you charged for it, didn't you ??
3. Charge them 50.00 for the files?
Didn't they already pay for this ??
4. Charge more for the files?
Has no bearing on this scenario.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Mosher the great

If they already paid you to do this and in their minds they don't owe you a penny more, how would you collect for something you didn't do ??

Unless you stipulated that they'd hafta pay additional charges to have actual possession of these files, you cannot and should not hold the files hostage. That's just bad business.

Sando

18 Years and Counting...
If they wanted them on a DVD or CD that I provided I would charge them an additional $10 for making and providing the CD or DVD and Jewel case, they don't grow on trees. Though I must admit it has been more than a couple years since someone has wanted the files in this manner.

hcardwell93

Give them the files without an extra charge or you will lose future business and they will bad mouth you to others.

For the future you should have the customer sign a contract that states what you charge for different services, purchasing artwork to take elsewhere, deposits, payment terms, etc.

Go over it with them and then they will know what to expect and you won't forget to tell them something. This will cut down on surprises or either feeling like they got ripped off.

Marlene

this is where is gets tough as you didn't clearly state to the customer what you were going to do, how you were going to charge and for what the re-vised art could be used for. when re-doing art work or creating any new designs, you should clearly state on your quote what you are doing, what the charges will be and if you are providing files for them to take with them. when it isn't clear, you should give it to them as that isn't their problem.

Billct2

I agree with DrCas, artwork and design fees are two separate things. But in the clients mind they already paid.
So I would charge a fee to "convert the files from production format" to whatever format they need, and try to only give them jpgs if possible.
You can add the verbiage to your contract and have every client sign off, but you will still have to make a judgement call about enforcing it.

RyanT

Director of Entropy
I have a disclaimer on all my estimates and invoices that says something like "I (my company) retain all rights and ownership to originally created artwork unless specifically stipulated via line item as "artworks rights release". I usually make sure to verbally or in writing explain what this means when discussing a project since no one reads fine print. I also explain it would run X dollars so they're not surprised later on. Depending on the project I may charge a design fee as well, but most of the time if it's a quick job I roll it into the first order.

Sounds like something you can do in the future, but for this project you might just have to give it to them unless you want to risk burning bridges.

Mosh

Just give them the files....in low res JPG format. If they say anything, tell them those are the files you used. Now you know the answer to that question.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
I Hear all of you guys. They just called and they are getting copyright pending stickers attached to the back of the banners. i have a feeling they are going to market these to every school in america.

o_O

Johnny Best

Just give them the files....in low res JPG format. If they say anything, tell them those are the files you used. Now you know the answer to that question.

The Mosh is back! Glad to see you alive and well. Missed your wisdom.

Andy D

Tell them you provide a service of providing their logo/layout in multiple formates, ie: PDF, AI, EPS, ect. For all of their future shirt, sign, brochure needs for a fee... Mine would be $200