• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC plasma cutter

skyhigh

I've been thinking about adding a cnc plasma cutter to my list of tools. I don't know much about them at all, so I decided to watch a few youtube videos. This was the first one I watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq8K0z-mi9Q

Question..... Is this as good as it gets? I think I would have re-shot this video if I were him.

-At 1 minute into the video, his part got caught and bent his "gizmo" (looks like he got "bit".
- At 2:04 his material got skewed (guessing the head stuck to material) and he stood with his hands in his pockets, totally oblivious until 2:18
-At 2:53 His "torch sensor" must have got bent and "wasn't in the right spot"

These machines make some sweet cuts in metal, and would be alot nicer than using my cnc router....but, is this as good as it gets? Was most of his problems due to the thin, lightweight material he was cutting?

So, is anyone here using a cnc plasma cutter? How do you like yours, and what would you suggest for me to be looking for? Just kicking the idea around a bit. Think I'll watch a few more videos.

:thankyou:

iSign

have you seen the dinosaur that Dan Sawatzky made as the cool rusted base for a huge glass covered conference table in the Multicam offices?

CES020

My guess is no, that isn't as good as it gets.

Kinda freaked me out a little when he stuck his hand in there while it was burning, close to the beginning to try and grab the part. Having been in a shop when bad industrial accidents have happened, that video made me cringe a little.

plasmacam...i know ppl that make FORTUNES with them, i know ppl who have them setup and under powered. almost every branch of the military uses plasmacam's and last i heard most of the ships have them at sea...the problem is not with the machine itself it is the plasma cutter being able to accomodate teh work load you need it to cut through. i have seen amazing setups that switch from plasma cutters to rotary cutters. is it the ideal tool for every sign shop...no but neither is a gerber or a multicam imo.

you know my number i'm exhausted been a long week, call me if you want to talk specifics. i know where a few used are as well..but be prepared to invest in a GOOD quality professional plasma cutter not a harbor freight hoaky fisher price model. ;)

SignManiac

Now, now Sky :) only looking at 25k s.f. It won't take much to fill that! Besides, you and I know, you can't have too many toys. There's some saying about dying with the most toys, that's the meaning of life :)

if u get your building DONOT buy a stand up scooter to get from one side to the other...they hurt .. and i have a life time injury to prove it...get a motorized wheelchair and soup it up for speed.

signage

I think this thread should be locked, because a sign shop wants to take metal cutting away from the local metal shop;-)

skyhigh

I've allready been banned on SheetMetal101. Damn pricks don't like newbies. I told them I wasn't going to be doing any metal fabrication for anyone besides myself......BUT if I did, I would be happy to "broker" the work thru some of the members there.

Guess they don't know a good thing.......I may have to put some of them out of business.

skyhigh

Hit the CNC yard sign market, lots of easy money to be made there. So easy, anyone an do it.

sssshhhhhhhhhhhh. That WAS my plan.....but now EVERYONE is going to jump on the bandwagon.

THANKS A LOT.

oh well.....there is still the flea market & race car numbers & sponsored I plan to cut right into the body panels.

signage

I don't know but they let my signshop in, they must see you as one of those landscape guys trying to get in and get info for repairing their own equipment:)

SignManiac

I've outsourced some plasma cutting. Fairly straight forward, cuts are not the cleanest but for most apps, should be adequate. I have two buddies here in town who run Plasma Cams. They're reasonable in price. I think my buddy paid around $15k

HulkSmash

BUMP....
Anyone running a cnc plasma cutter? Looking for any advice you can give me.

I was looking at a plasma cutter, but then soon decided i don't do enough of it to justify for it.............

but for the longest time i was looking at these

http://torchmate.com/

Also i highly recommend Multicam. I havn't seen or even used their plasma CNC, but i know their other products are very good