• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Router Purchase Recommendation

Old Printer

Premium Subscriber
My boss has asked my to research the purchase of a CNC router for our shop. We had one many years ago, a simple 48" X 48" but the electronics were damaged by lighting and he felt it was too old to bother repairing. We have two Co2 lasers, but it would be helpful to have something that could cut acrylic letters and shapes with Chemetal faces (brushed 1/32" aluminum). A 48" x 48" bed would be enough for 95% of our work. Could anyone with experience give me some brand recommendations for something reliable? Also maybe some features to look for. I wish I had the time to wait for a trade show, but our fiscal year is up in a couple weeks and I need to make this purchase by the end of the September. Thanks, Dave

What you want is multi zone vacuum table at least 4'x8' with 6" Z stroke. Minimum 3hp spindle not router. ATC if you can afford it. you should be able to find somthing new in 6-25k range depends where is it made.

Old Printer

Premium Subscriber
What I WANT is a new corvette.
What I NEED is a truck.

Whats your budget?????

Yes, the $64 question.

Based on the amount of use it would get here I would think 10-15,000.

Our last two equipment purchases were in to 20-25,000 range, a second laser and a UV printer, but this machine will not get the same level of use that they do.

Don't mean to be evasive, but he is not available at the moment so that is my best guess.

Thanks,

Dave

MikePro

our multicam 3000 series has been a workhorse for the past 15yrs. I'm seeing people selling theirs used for under 30k and i've been tempted to pickup another one.
downside, however, is that multicam consolidated their operations to Texas with only a few branches nationwide.... so service through them may be a pain, but they're incredibly quick to turn-around parts orders for me.

unless you have another good supplier, cncroutershop.com for bits/collets/etc.... everything appears to be 25% less ordering the same Belin or Onsrut bits elsewhere.

edited: under $20k? yeah, shopbot may be the way to go. you get what you pay for, but you do save a TON by building it yourself.
I might just keep an ear to the ground for a sweet business-auction or used CNC router deal to come your way.

Old Printer

Premium Subscriber
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

Please keep the input coming as I am still a ways from making a buy recommendation to my boss. Hands on opinions from fellow sign makers are far more valuable than all the salesman talk in the world. I spend his money as if it were my own, and besides I have to run the thing and suffer if I buy a turkey :)

Dave

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I second looking for a used Multicam. Great machines. (10+years running them, minimal problems)
My limited experience with AXYZ tables was also quite positive.

I have no experience with ShopBot, but they have quite a few advocates. You'll also gain quite a bit of knowledge from building it.

Two manufacturers I'd stay far away from:
CamTech (if they're even around any more): Complete garbage, poor tech support, took forever to get parts.
Biesse: I can't say enough negative things about them. For instance: previous employer bought a brand new one, and it took more than a year for them to figure out we were getting random E-Stops because someone at the factory hadn't attached a wire securely into a harness on the inside of the machine. That's just one of the many issues we had. If your boss insists on buying one, they'll regret it.

bjt140

I agree with others that Shopbot may be a good solution. I had a smaller one of their units and it seemed great. My only suggestion is to get an Alpha model.

Also, talkshopbot dot com is their forum site. They have a used/for sale section there and I just glanced at it but there's an alpha listed in Florida for 13k. May be worth looking into.

Good luck!

Ditchmiester

You can also look at ShopSabre out of Minnesota. They are solid company to deal with and everything is built in the USA. They offer a 48x48 table and have lots a of options available depending on what you need.

econolinesigns

AXYZ is the way to go! We have had our 4'x8' router for almost 20 years and it still runs like a champ! Minimal downtime and limited repairs over the years. We just saw them at the SGIA show and the sales rep contacted us after to give us the exact date we purchased the router. There tech support is second to none and we have never had to have a tech come repair anything!

Great machine and great folks

player

Shopbot and AXYZ are 2 completely different levels of machine. Shopbot is low end, Mechano Set style construction that requires constant bolt tightening and maintenance, while AXYZ machines are robust industrial manufacturing machines.

fixtureman

Shopbot and AXYZ are 2 completely different levels of machine. Shopbot is low end, Mechano Set style construction that requires constant bolt tightening and maintenance, while AXYZ machines are robust industrial manufacturing machines.

I have had my Shopbot for 10 years and have not had to tighten any bolts. Maybe you are just a little on the weak side and

player

I have had my Shopbot for 10 years and have not had to tighten any bolts. Maybe you are just a little on the weak side and

Never tightened any bolts? What size? I would think you should look into it as their manual suggests regular bolt checking.

fixtureman

Never tightened any bolts? What size? I would think you should look into it as their manual suggests regular bolt checking.

It's a 4x8 and the bolts are tight what experience do you have with Shopbots. I do the same type of maintenance on my Shopbot as I do on the Beisse where I work.