• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COG, Labor %, instalation charge?

jmitchell954

Afternoon everyone,
I have a few questions I would like to ask everyone.
#1. what percent is your average (monthly) cost of goods?
#2. what percent is your average (monthly) labor to sales?
#3. what is your average install rate?

I finally have a years worth of data and I would like to see where my department stands within the industry. I am very goal oriented and would like to set a few goals going into the next fiscal year.

ams

Those questions cannot be answered as every month is different, plus my accountant handles those figures, I don't get involved.
Also if you are trying to match or complete with us, that is a bad idea. You need to base it on your area alone. New York City and Lizard Lick NC are going to be on the very opposite sides of the world with pricing.

Billct2

Yea, not exactly up on all that stuff, though I know I should be. And it would vary widely depending on the size pf the shop and location.
Signs Of The Times does an industry wide survey every year that has those kinds of numbers broken down by size of shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you only have a year's worth of information, you really have no history, so most of this is for naught.

The size of your shop, number of employees, the kinda work you produce, how much is farmed out vs. how much in-house, overhead, insurances and all this other stuff means as much as supplies, labor and averages.

I do remember, my first year in business, I had about $1,100.00 worth of supplies and my time only which was maybe 1,800 hours and I took in a little over $24,000, plus my day job at a sign shop, which added about another $22,000 for a total of over $46,000. Not bad for 1982. I really started in 1972, but that was working for someone else and a few other shops. Didn't go solo, until 1982.

You want a goal ?? Double everything....better yet, triple it.​

gnemmas

If you only have a year's worth of information, you really have no history, so most of this is for naught.

The size of your shop, number of employees, the kinda work you produce, how much is farmed out vs. how much in-house, overhead, insurances and all this other stuff means as much as supplies, labor and averages.

I do remember, my first year in business, I had about $1,100.00 worth of supplies and my time only which was maybe 1,800 hours and I took in a little over $24,000, plus my day job at a sign shop, which added about another $22,000 for a total of over $46,000. Not bad for 1982. I really started in 1972, but that was working for someone else and a few other shops. Didn't go solo, until 1982.

You want a goal ?? Double everything....better yet, triple it.​

MikePro

been in the business for 65years, we're up to $675/hr
tabs need be kept on total sales vs. total costs, and make sure you're setting aside $ for taxes(!!!), and adjust your rates accordingly.