• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold Lamination vs. Heat Assist

ssorg

Hi everyone,
I am a designer, been in the industry for well over 30 years and have always used laminators with heat assist on them.
However, my new boss has purchased a Royal Sovereign RSC-1651LS 65" Cold Roll Laminator, and my question is this...
what are the pro's and con's to using either, and are there any problems with delamination?
We are running an HP L350, so I am not sure if this makes a difference either.
Thanks for ANY input!!!
Stace

petepaz

as far as i know the heat assist doesn't affect the bond. it helps with the silvering (haze you sometimes get from the adhesive on the lam) i could be wrong on the adhesion / bond part.
i have used cold laminators also and never had any delaminating issues.

MikePro

+1
heat assist really only useful to eliminate potential silvering. I run my heat-assisted laminator all the time w/o heat (rush job, slow-warmup, git'r'dun!) & without issue.
bond is just as good between them both, as they both use the same pressure-sensitive adhesive overlaminates.

bonus points if you post-heat your applications anyways, as that is the best way to ensure a long-lasting product.