• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold vs. Hot laminators

James Chrimes

I am looking at getting a laminator and have only had a cold one in the past. Does anyone use the hot feature on their laminator and is it worth spending the extra money to have it?

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Unless you have a big need for it, I’d say no. I have the capability to and maybe use it 1-2 times a year for 1 customer

Most laminates are made to go on cold

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have one with heat assist. i use it most of the time. in my opinion it helps make the laminate more pliable.
for most of what i do i dont think it is "needed" but i like it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Heat assist is something that might come in handy from time to time. Unless you're doing encapsulation or something that requires a lot of heat, you don't need a hot laminator.

CL Visual

Not sure if you're asking about a Thermal Laminator to use true hot lams or a Heat Assist Laminator. I've had both in the past but no longer have use for thermal. I do have a heat assist now and it's great with calendared films.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I was always worried that the heat would allow the laminate to stretch. Then, when you install the graphics they will want to curl up or bridge as the laminate shrinks back...

Any silvering goes away so quickly that it isn't a big deal.

1leonchen

i have a heat assist up to 100 degrees. it works wonders on cheap laminates. 3m laminates with plastic liners. awesome results. flawess matte finishes. and mine is air driven. form i had it i spoiled two prints and that was operator error.

ams

I only use cold, have no need for hot. Leave that to Staples and fake sign and print shops.

SBlakey

Large format operator
You can always turn the heat off on a hot lam, you cant turn it on with a cold. Plus psa lam works better with a 100 degree heat assist. But if you break your rollers they are costly to replace.