Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold vs Hot Wraps

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by Futura Signs, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    So was talking with my supplier about the best way / vinyl for wraps when bumbers will need to be covered. i talked about heat and said if any heat was used it would void the "Warranty" on the vinyl.

That being said it's suggestive that it should be done cold....

How many wrappers don't use a torch or heat gun? lol

Anyhow... i figured id ask the sign community on this.

2. SSG_SIGNS

SSG_SIGNS Member

May 7, 2009
    If it voids the warranty why do they all tell you how hot to get the vinyl to so you can do compound curves, I have had oracal, 3M & Arlon all tell me the temperatures so go figure.

3. GZ SIGN DESIGNS

GZ SIGN DESIGNS Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Never heard of that .We've had both the 3m & Avery rep & tech here, and both said heat is important to wrapping complex curves .

4. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.... wrapping without heat is like filleting a fish with a butter knife.....

5. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Your supplier was BSing you... sorry. Heat is essential to wrapping around any curve, I wouldn't take on any form of wrap job if I couldn't use heat... not even a trailer with flat sides...

6. Turtle

Turtle Member

Feb 9, 2010
    :goodpost:

7. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    What a dumb@$$...stupidity should be painful.

8. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I would be looking for a new supplier that know what they are talking about!

9. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    The suppliers reply to that was that they warranty Xmil vinyl not Distorted Xmil vinyl.... and proceed on to tellign me that heat destroy the molecular stucture of the vinyl and is therefore not Xmil anymore and is not warrantied anymore.... and i chuckles and said you want me to do this with no heat.... he said yes.im not going to name the supplie but its a big one.

10. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Please.....dying to know who came up with that one.

11. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Yes please let us know!!! LOL thats fantastic

12. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    all i can say is yes his explanation makes sens... but it is a BS anwser you can't wrap with no heat.

That being said... im still looking for an awser to whats the best type of vinyl / laminate that will conform best. im not too worried about repositioning, just the conforming.

13. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I think we would all get a good chuckle and appreciate knowing who this supplier is. This I have to hear.... lol.

14. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Well they without revealing the hwole name...hahahh ill gve you guys a big hint.
    Starts wihth Pro.... finishes with veer.

15. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    man i can't spell sorry.

Im still looking for good vinyl / laminate for my application as well ;)
    this post is not to bash my supplier... there ok othersiwe. but that was a Salesman anwser all the way.

16. Futura Signs

Futura Signs Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Currently using:
    Wrap: MPI 1005 Easy Apply RS
    Lam: Dol 1060

17. MichaelAlmand

MichaelAlmand Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Canada
    A very, very stable product as well. I have used 3M, Avery and Arlon and I believe that Oracal 3951 or 3951RA is the best out there for installation to longevity.

18. zapblam

zapblam Member

Sep 21, 2005
    What the heck kind of vinyl are you using to wrap with if cant be contacted by heat.

19. dolce05

dolce05 Member

Jan 18, 2008
    yea wrap with no heat...lol...thats why post heating is a must to insure a warranty. Most suppliers and reps are good for one thing and thats getting you the material. Talk directly to 3M or Avery or if its a straight up installation question, talk to someone who has an impressive portfolio who's been in the trenches and you'll get the right answer. The only thing i can think of is if you over heat to the point where the vinyl has extreme adhesion failure it would be then your warranty is VOID.

i will leave you with...when installing apply heat, then more heat...then when done...heat again!