• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold weather- outside vinyl installs

mzick

Now that most of us are facing colder weather, here is a tip for installing vinyl on cargo vans and non referigerated trailers...

The main thing is to get the temp of the vehicle up so the vinyl will adhear properly. The fastest and easiest way I have found is to take a turbo/bullett heater and place it inside the vehicle. Make sure you leave the rear door cracked open so the heater can get cool air in and force the cold air out. This will also allow the fumes to escape also. You will find that in a very short time, the sides of the vehicle will be warm to the touch and ready to go.

This will not work in all situations...windy conditions, insulated trailers and so forth.

Give it shot and see how well it works for you.

Mosh

What if you have to do the hood? Still easier to pull them inside and let them warm up in there.

WB

I won't touch a vehicle this time of year unless it's inside..

I have on of those heaters that runs off kerosene.. is that what your talking about?? you don't put that in a customers vehicle do you?

Mosh

If it is in cold weather you have to be able to get stuff inside. Just part of the job, like you can offer printing without a printer, you can't letter stuff in the winter without a heated shop (in cold climates).

Liquid GraphX

The problem here is how long it takes to get the item up to temp to apply. When it's -20 or colder it sometimes takes more than overnight. Especially with a not so good furnace. :doh:

Border

Hi liability putting and gas or kerosene heater inside a truck ...not very good advice in my opinion. Rent a space by the hour in the cold months or work with some of your other clients who may have warehouse space that you can use in a pinch but don't do a crappy install out in the cold while risking a fire hazard on customer's truck!
It may cost you a little more to handle the install but in reality, you should have enough built into the overall price to cover those things anyways. If you don't then you're bidding too low to begin with and will never stand a chance of making enough to support and pay for your own indoor space someday!

Ken

Well..yeah..I'm in central BC...I don't have a big heated space to bring a vehicle out of the weather and into a heated bay....so....We wait for a day above zero...or the client provides the space...uhgg...ya...I know that's not the best arrangement...BUT...I have found this WORKS..for me. It's actually kinda nice...when I can get into someone else's shop...shoot the shit while the vehicle warms up...it's awkward..but..just not that bad.
Yes...if this had to happen everyday...then...no way
So...pick your days carefully.
Cheers!
Ken

Salmoneye

I am in Amarillo, the other morning the wind chill was at -15. This place can get awful cold. Here it is not so much the temp but the 40mph wind that always comes with it.

mzick

Guess I should have come up with a better title. I try to do my installs inside. Some places are heated better than others. When I am faced with a facility that hassome kind of heat and I don't want to wait hours for the unit to get up to temp, I will heat from the inside out. I did it today w/ a 16' and 20' cargo trailer that was inside and had a little heater in the facility. Poped a forced air heater inside, closed down the doors a bit and was able to install after I got may panels rolled and ready to go.

Take it for what it is worth...just trying to help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No harm in trying to help, but it is rather hazardous to put a bomb inside a customers truck and turn it on. What if their tools and stuff are in there ?? What if it's a painter's truck ?? When giving hints like this... it helps to make lots a exceptions so newbies and idiots don't blame you for taking you literally.

If someone would do one thing wrong they could cause a lot of damage with your scheme.

Our salamander heater is 160,000 BTU's and is on the heavy side to be lifting into trucks, but the best advice is to do it inside and turn the heat up a few notches.

Not to say we haven't heated the sides up on the outside to bring the air temperature up a little faster in the building.

visualeyez

Just lettered a truck in 15 degree weather. Spritzed with alcohol and watched it steam off to nothing. Applied the cast vinyl and even the smallest serifs on the 1/2" lettering stuck flawless. Am I missing something?

Larry L

I have to do a couple semi doors tomorrow, snow, wind and 20 deg. nasty! I also have to grind off the old lettering. The truck driver says he's willing to hold the heat gun for me. Last week I had to change some text on a 4 x 10 sign about 12 ft. high. My little propane torch worked OK to secure the duct tape (a great cold weather tape) to get the graphics in place to squeegee. I then went over the transfer tape with the torch to get it to stick, then removed the transfer. In the cold wind your blowing flame is hard to control and can burn your vinyl, so leaving the R tape on give you a little leeway.

gabagoo

I have to do a couple semi doors tomorrow, snow, wind and 20 deg. nasty! I also have to grind off the old lettering. The truck driver says he's willing to hold the heat gun for me. Last week I had to change some text on a 4 x 10 sign about 12 ft. high. My little propane torch worked OK to secure the duct tape (a great cold weather tape) to get the graphics in place to squeegee. I then went over the transfer tape with the torch to get it to stick, then removed the transfer. In the cold wind your blowing flame is hard to control and can burn your vinyl, so leaving the R tape on give you a little leeway.

you couldn't pay me enough money to do that. If she dont fit inside we dont do it. My pet peeve in the winter is when a customer brings a vehicle and it is covered in snow and ice. We try to get most off outside using brooms but the inside shop just turns nasty when all that dirty muddy road salted filth starts splashing down. Ugggg Thanks that reminds me...all winter applications 40% surcharge to deal with it yup!!!

Larry L

you couldn't pay me enough money to do that. If she dont fit inside we dont do it. My pet peeve in the winter is when a customer brings a vehicle and it is covered in snow and ice. We try to get most off outside using brooms but the inside shop just turns nasty when all that dirty muddy road salted filth starts splashing down. Ugggg Thanks that reminds me...all winter applications 40% surcharge to deal with it yup!!!

I just finished the truck, had to grind off the old letters then slap the company name & US DOT, about 1 1/2 hrs work total (651 Orical)- will only have the truck 1 year. KRAFTMAID driver- $90/hr..."bring it on"
(Any work this time of the year is good work)

Last edited: