• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color code: red 23 & blue 94 ?

Andy D

I would love to believe I know all there is about color and printing, and then something stumps me...
My customer sent print ready, vector files... but they call out the colors as: red 23 & blue 94,
any idea what those numbers are referring to?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I would love to believe I know all there is about color and printing, and then something stumps me...
My customer sent print ready, vector files... but they call out the colors as: red 23 & blue 94,
lol, sounds more like food coloring additives. Sorry, I know that's not helpful, just what comes to mind.

unclebun

I don't think it would be out of order to call the customer and ask them what color standard they are using for those names.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Could those be vinyl colors pulled from a vinyl color palette on Flexi or Signlab? If the design is simple it might have been from the days of cut vinyl, or it could be a palette from the day's offset inks?

Knowing what it is may not be of any help if there isn't a viable way to translate it into CMYK or PMS. So it might be easier to call the customer and ask for several samples for something to match (business cards, letter head, brochure, vehicle graphics...) Chances are if you get a few different samples you have an opportunity to educate them about CMYK vs other technologies by showing them the color differences in their own existing branding. This will help you avoid the color matching rabbit hole and keep you from spending several hours trying to get an exact color match on $200 order. It's a losing proposition for all involved.

Last edited:

MHester

Did you ever find out what the color numbers referenced? I'm sure you figured it out since january when you first posted the thread. I'm curious to know the outcome......

Andy D

Did you ever find out what the color numbers referenced? I'm sure you figured it out since january when you first posted the thread. I'm curious to know the outcome......
I wish I could tell you, but I can even remember what job this was....
Seems like I offered them the standard disclaimer; "If this project is color critical, a hard copy print will be provided for an additional $$, blah, blah"
& they said it wasn't.