• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color management class

fine point

Hi, this is 3-part question.

Do you think you need color management skills like profiling with xrite and stuff?

if yes, have you taken a class on it? Or are you going to?

if yes, which class?

thanks for all your feedback!

wleong

SGIA holds color management classes and they are excellent. More recently, they have partnered with printer manufacturers to hold classes in some of their facilities so you get to learn how to profile your favorite RIP. This was all pre-COVID.

I believe they have started to schedule online classes due to the pandemic.

William

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Do yo need skills to use an x-rite i1 pro? no, not really.
These days, most profiling software has a basic "Print - Read - Next" Method and it'll give you a half decent profile.
i1 Profiler software has a "Basic" & "Advance" mode too. It also has tips and help indicator explaining what everything does.

But to understand what you're actually doing, understanding why the profile doesn't look as good as it should, understanding how to evaluate profiles, understanding how much ink is enough etc. that takes proper knowledge.
there's a few out there. i know of this one.
https://idealliance.org/courses/color-management-professional-fundamentals-course/
If you use a specific RIP, like ONYX, they have courses too.

rjssigns

Do yo need skills to use an x-rite i1 pro? no, not really.
These days, most profiling software has a basic "Print - Read - Next" Method and it'll give you a half decent profile.
i1 Profiler software has a "Basic" & "Advance" mode too. It also has tips and help indicator explaining what everything does.

But to understand what you're actually doing, understanding why the profile doesn't look as good as it should, understanding how to evaluate profiles, understanding how much ink is enough etc. that takes proper knowledge.
there's a few out there. i know of this one.
https://idealliance.org/courses/color-management-professional-fundamentals-course/
If you use a specific RIP, like ONYX, they have courses too.

This right here^^^^^

Like Pauly said profiling with the X-Rite equipment is about as simple as it gets. The main interface will get you most of the way there but to really dial things in you REALLY have to understand your specific printer, ink limits, etc... It is not as simple as it looks on the surface and there is some art that goes along with the science.
One of the things you are shooting for is a perfect or near perfect Gray 20.