• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Matching

Dan360

We get a sample and match it to a pantone book. Then it's just a matter of getting as close as possible with the printer.

Brink

I think it is the best way to that, getting close is the best option for that, can you upload pictures?
What good does uploading pictures do? Color error will be present due to lighting at photo time, camera settings and CCD quality. Also the monitor or phone screen that you view it on will re-interpret the color again. Photos do very little good for color matching.

When printing, The inks you use, The media you print on and the color profile in your RIP software are also going to effect final output. Then there is also the lighting again on that end when you/your customer finally view the product. Your eyes are your best tool for matching colors. There are those who disagree with me and swear by coloimeters and print profiles. These are great tools for sure. But your customer's eyes will be the final judge of rightness. Your eyes are the closest thing that you have to approximate that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
CATZper Color Matching System. Works like a charm and takes only a few minutes. You do, however, need a definite color to match to it. Don't go by a picture, unless that's an approved color rendition.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
CATZper Color Matching System. Works like a charm and takes only a few minutes. You do, however, need a definite color to match to it. Don't go by a picture, unless that's an approved color rendition.

Looks similar to onyx swatchbooks

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Last edited:

dypinc

And those CMYK values are based on what source profile? Took us years to get LAB values in Adobe libraries. So I guessing your back to guessing the source profile of these values. I guess it will get you somewhat close.

bteifeld

And those CMYK values are based on what source profile? Took us years to get LAB values in Adobe libraries. So I guessing your back to guessing in the source profile of these values. I guess it will get you somewhat close.

Thanks for mentioning this. I am waiting for Behr to get back to me with that and once they do, I
will add it to my post.

bteifeld

Thanks for mentioning this. I am waiting for Behr to get back to me with that and once they do, I
will add it to my post.

This was Behr's initial response:

Hello Mr. Teifeld,

Per my message, below is the information that I was able to gather from my team to answer your questions. I hope this information is helpful.

The ase format is an Adobe communal digital swatch palette format. This means that it can be recognized by the various programs Adobe supports (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).

These palettes are created from the Labch values read by the Behr color lab. The color reading is reported at D56K.
The CMYK values can be referenced from the color selection tool in Photoshop, along with the lab and rgb values. Please keep in mind that CMYK is a print color profile,
color interpretation and representation will vary by printer. For truest representation the desired color should be sampled (in the desired sheen) on the surface to be painted.

This is Behr's recommended method for color evaluation.

My next question to them was:

Since you mention that you do have the information initially
in LAB format, can you supply me a CGATS file with the
LAB values? I am looking for a baseline for experimentation,
and do understand that in the end, measuring it myself to
get my own LAB values is the best approach. Nevertheless,
I would find the LAB version most useful.

Behr's response to me was verbal, in a phone call, where I was informed that the
LAB information is considered company proprietary.