• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Color Mismatch on lighted sign, any fix other than remake?

Jazzisjazz

Edited for clarity. Let me know if any further details are needed.

I would like to know if it is possible to fix a mismatch in color (shade of blue) in a new sign which I think is made by putting a “vinyl” decal or film on a piece of clear Plexiglas for the sign and with fluorescent/led bulbs providing backlight.

The original sign is on the right.

The signmaker asked for a color swatch from a paint store/dept that was as close to the color of the original sign as possible. It was provided.

They are aware that the goal is to match the new sign as close as possible color wise to the original sign.

The "lightbox" for the new sign is longer than that of the original. It was moved from above a vacated location nearby to mount @ 15ft to the left of the original sign at the same height.
The store has expanded into another vacated rental space immediately to the left and the store owner wants the new sign above the expansion to match the color of the original one.

A design details proof was provided on paper and was approved.
The was no other opportunity to see what the final result would be until the sign was already mounted, lit, and the sky darkened outside.

In daylight the new sign matches closely. When the lightboxes turn on and the sky darkens it is easy to see the difference in color between the original and the new signs.

The hope is something can be done other than remaking the new sign panel completely.

Any suggestions appreciated.

SidebySideSigns.jpg
Nighttime Appearance.jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'm dumber than a rock. I hear questions in there, but your descriptions totally baffle me. Sounds like 5 questions in one. Can you be a little more clearer about your problem ??

papabud

Lone Wolf
i am guessing he made a new sign. the blue of his new sign matches the blue of the old sign until you turn on the back light then its a different blue

CanuckSigns

are these 2 panels right next to each other? Colour matching a backlit sign is difficult enough even without having to match an old existing sign. If they absolutly have to match both day and night, you need to remake both sign panels.

bannertime

Welcome to Signs101, looks like these types of signs may be out of your normal operations. A few things you should know, there are a handful a variables that could cause this, but there is only one that you could change without redoing the sign faces. That's the bulbs. Though I highly doubt that's going to make the desired results. Anything else is going to require replacing the both faces, or at a minimum replacing both graphics. There is really only way guaranteed way to color match a sign and that's by making them at the same time, with the same machines, same materials from the same batch, and using the same bulbs that are the same distance from the sign faces. Every other way is close enough.

Johnny Best

Don't think the OP made the vinyl decal or film on clear plexi for the new face. You have to learn how to make a backlit signface and replace it to match the old one. Which will be hard to do unless you have as they stated the exact printer and color match.
I think you have to be more clear on your explanation of what you have, two sign faces right next to each other that do not match or the customer like the old blue better than the new sign face color?
Not an easy fix to answer your question is my answer.

Jazzisjazz

I have edited for clarity.

It has been noticed that the color of the lit new sign is spot on for the color of "arrows" used to label the width and height of the design on the proof that was printed on paper.

Is there any chance that the color of those arrows was a last minute change and somehow that color information was "saved" as the color information of the new sign (even though the color of the sign in the proof looks correct)?

Nuagedesigns

Easiest and least expensive fix would be to re make a new sign face for the old sign on right to match the new sign. replace bulbs and face with same as on left and you should have a 100% match. The old sign has old bulbs, old vinyl, and old face. You will never get them to match spot on and from the sounds of your customer may be very particular. Offer him or her a discount to change the second sign face. Next time be up front that there is not a guarantee that they will match exactly as you cant control what was used on the old sign and age.

Good Luck

Billct2

Yep, what Nuage said...even if I had made the original and I had the exact same materials I wouldn't guaranty a perfect match, especially if more than a year or two has passed.

papabud

Lone Wolf
is the color supposed to match with both signs. is the new sign the wrong shade of blue?
can they just remake the old sign with the new color

Jazzisjazz

The correct color, the color example provided with the paint swatch, the color agreed to with the printed proof - they match the original sign on the right, the new sign is an okay match in daylight but at night when lit it is the wrong shade of blue.

I am wondering if there should have been an opportunity to see some sort of "lighted mock up" for the customer's final approval ( I have no idea how easy or difficult that would be to do ). Is it possible to add a second corrective "layer" (just guessing)?

If the new sign is remade to match the old sign color what is the recommended way to provide the color sample?

Is it possible to get a reasonably accurate demo or simulation of the lighted sign for a final approval or are there just too many variables to match/account for?

Thanks for all the info, ideas, and guidance so far.

Billct2

You can make a sample with a piece of acrylic and hold it in front of a light source, not perfect but it would give you a good representation.

AKwrapguy

Here's a question... Is this a single or double layer sign? For back lit signs you need to print onto clear and apply, than onto trans and apply over the top of the clear. This way when it's lit up the color is not as washed out.

kgirl

Sounds like printing faces is a big pain the ass when it comes to conformity.....no one uses translucent vinyl anymore?...

Jazzisjazz

AKwrapguy,

I think it was mentioned that it could/should have been double layered but is only single.

Please add words where I put a question mark in your reply so that I get a full understanding of what your telling me ( my apologies for my lack of knowledge)

print onto clear (what material ?) and apply (to plexi ?), than onto trans (is this a material or a process?) and apply over the top of the clear.

Thanks for being patient.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Can you post a pic of the whole sign? Is white and blue the only colors? If so use translucent cut vinyl...would last twice as long as print, more vibrant and color should be spot on. If you have multi colors then never mind.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea then consider using translucent cut vinyl. See if there is a color that matches with one of the links before. You can order a color chart from Oracal or 3M to see them in real life. Digital printing a color can me done a number of ways and the sign company you used may not do it the right way. Also, digital prints on backlit signs sometimes can turn black in the sun in as little as a few years. Don't know why or how that happens but I see it often, read somewhere that the inks bleed into the surrounding non-printed areas or the laminate turns black or something...I duno but try cut vinyl. And do BOTH signs and make sure all lamps are the same color and age. Doing both at the same time, using same vinyl and same color and age light bulbs is the only way to match... omit one of these steps and it won't match. It may cost $$ to do it this way but pickiness costs $$.

ORAFOL Series 8500 Translucent | FELLERS

3M Scotchcal Translucent Graphic Film Series 3630 | FELLERS