• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Color printing is off.

SheldonDay

I use a Roland Versacamm SP-540i, versa works software and AI for the software. Reds are printing Pink and Blues are printing green. Have tried almost all the fixes that they say they are and still no luck, does anyone out there have this same problem. Printer has been excellent and all of a sudden prints this way. Print head is clean and good.

SheldonDay

Here is the nozzle test. I'm new at this so I don't know a whole lot about the Roland Printers but learning as I go along. There is a small wrinkle in the 3m paper on the right hand side area so disregard that please.

Attachments

• Nozzle test.jpg
    Nozzle test.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 391

SheldonDay

Ok thank you, is there a video for that? or do I have to get cartridges to do this. Never have done this so bare with me please.

I think we have identified the source of your issue.

The Roland SP-Series printers have a total of two printheads through which jet 4 ink colors. Each color has a total of 180 nozzles (4x180 = 720 nozzles. You are missing significant numbers of nozzles in Magenta and Yellow (over 50% missing in each) - this is in addition to nozzle deflections on all 4 channels. It is going to be a major challenge to get those printheads to print without noticeable banding artifacts.

Running a series of cleanings (via the front panel and physical cleanings with swabs and cleaning solution) is the place to start. Also, make sure that your captops are clean and their rubber seals are in good shape, and the wipers are straight and not deformed. Good luck.

SheldonDay

Ok cleaned the head, wipers and all the needed stuff. Let's see how that does! I will let you know and post a new nozzle test later.

SheldonDay

Here is it. This is after two cleanings, it is better but still bad. Are the Red and Yellow supposed to be the same and the blue and black? If so is it a bad printhead?

Attachments

• Nozzle test 3.jpg
    Nozzle test 3.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 468
Yes, the pattern should more closely resemble the other printhead K/C - minus the deflected nozzles in those channels.

It appears that you may have had a major head strike which has significantly damaged printhead 2 (M/Y) - do you recall such an event?

You've got significant nozzle outs, deflections, and cross-contamination in that head, which in my opinion are going to be virtually impossible to recover completely without replacing the printhead.

Last edited:

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
One more thing to check, one of those head slap things. Pull the ink cartridges and make sure they all have ink. The cartridges have been known to run empty and not stop the printer, causing what you see. I know, having spent an hour on the phone with a Bahamas customer, only to check the cartridges on a hunch and sure enough... Also visually examine the bottom of the heads and look for any marks or damage. If they all have ink, then "Initialize the limit" to make sure you have good head to cap alignment, do a cleaning and see what you get. A head strike, even a minor one, can cause the head-cap alignment to be off and you won't pull ink. If the results are still bad, then, as P Wagner has noted, looks like a bad head.

SheldonDay

I do not recall any event of that nature. This thing has probably never been serviced. I was instructed to take over this part of the business and right now I'm having print, cut, laminate and re cutting issues (probably print, laminate and cut issues sorry) as well. I'm new to this so pretty much I have to figure it out on my own. They are willing to pay for print heads and the cap tops probably need replacing as well. I really thank you for your time, it did help to figure out what the issue and get me into the machine as well. Nothing wrong with new knowledge. I will contact you Monday if that's alright for the laminating and cut issues.

Joe House

If they're willing to pay for a tech to come out, schedule some time with him/her to show give you the basic training as well. An extra hour or two now will save a bunch of headaches and cash in the trash later.

SheldonDay

I am replacing the cap tops, I can pretty much say they probably have never been replaced so I'm going to start there, run another nozzle check just to be safe and more than likely replace print heads at that point. Another problem I'm having if anyone can help is how to print, laminate and cut. Once I print it, I laminate it, then I run it back through with the crop marks and it's about 1/2 off. Need as much advice in this area as I can since I have to fix this problem as soon as I get the carpet finished which will be today. Will be setting up everything tomorrow (7/29)

SheldonDay

How old are your cap tops? If they are worn out, cleaning will have no effect.
Ok guys, your the experts, and last time was very helpful, I've been having trouble with the MG/Yellow cap top. After having printing issues, I replaced both cap tops and all was working very well. Have done Weekly cleaning and a Heavy cleaning on the printer at least once every week. For some reason, after there's little to no printing (due to Covid-19, everything is slow right now but is picking up) the mg/yellow, cap top stops or dries up. I've tried cleaning and sometimes is does work but overall I've had to replace three cap tops in the last 5 months which I think is way too much, when I keep printing it's fine. Could it be the cap tops I'm buying? As you can see from the included Jpeg, I did the suggested cleaning phases and as you can see, by the last cap top replacement, it printed just fine. I'm thinking maybe a line or pump issue but unsure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated everyone. Thank you

Attachments

• Cap Top Cleaning phases.jpg
    Cap Top Cleaning phases.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 347

SheldonDay

I think we have identified the source of your issue.

The Roland SP-Series printers have a total of two printheads through which jet 4 ink colors. Each color has a total of 180 nozzles (4x180 = 720 nozzles. You are missing significant numbers of nozzles in Magenta and Yellow (over 50% missing in each) - this is in addition to nozzle deflections on all 4 channels. It is going to be a major challenge to get those printheads to print without noticeable banding artifacts.

Running a series of cleanings (via the front panel and physical cleanings with swabs and cleaning solution) is the place to start. Also, make sure that your captops are clean and their rubber seals are in good shape, and the wipers are straight and not deformed. Good luck.

Updated 10/20/20, the last time was very helpful, I've been having trouble with the MG/Yellow cap top. After having printing issues, I replaced both cap tops and all was working very well. Have done Weekly cleaning and a Heavy cleaning on the printer at least once every week. For some reason, after there's little to no printing (due to Covid-19, everything is slow right now but is picking up) the mg/yellow, cap top stops or dries up. I've tried cleaning and/or complete the recommended solutions as per our last conversation and sometimes is does work but overall I've had to replace three cap tops in the last 5 months which I think is way too much, when I keep printing it's fine. Could it be the cap tops I'm buying? As you can see from the included Jpeg, I did the suggested cleaning phases and as you can see, by the last cap top replacement, it printed just fine. I'm thinking maybe a line or pump issue but unsure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated everyone. Thank you

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
If the cap tops are being seated correctly etc then it may be them, are they OEM/from a reputable supplier (I.e. not China). The more reputable parts you have in there, the less variables you might have.

Do you clean the cap top(s) as part of your maintenance procedure? I change mine out once a year due to running third party inks but it’s usually fine and just a precaution.

My mimaki has an extra cartridge for pump tube wash, does the Roland have anything similar?

Did you ever get a tech out to replace your head? As far as the thread goes you never came back to let us know what the issue was.