• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Sampling Device rental??

Anyone have a device which I am still not sure what it is called that reads swatches and tells onyx 10 how to adjust for a custom profile?

There is the I1 pro etc. but they cost 2 grand...anyone have one for rent? I saw Color Munki for rent but I hear they are no good for wide format...Also it is not listed in the supported "color devices" in Onyx.

No where on google are these things rented out...is there some sort of licensing BS on it?

Salmoneye

I don't use one other than for monitor calibration but I think that most folks that have one use it on such a regular basis that there would not be much of a market for rental.

MikePro

spectrophotometer
you can get the xrite i1 basic pro v2 for roughly $1k.
...and that's brand-new. the older i1, v1, is discontinued but still works just fine. Bet you can pick a used one up off ebay for $400'ish.

i don't think people rent them, as they are sensitive pieces of tech and the people that do have them... don't want other people's grubby hands on, but who knows.

when I called Xrite they suggested the i1 pro designer or somesuch for 2k (on sale lol) Are the others ones just as good and supported by onyx 10?

"or good enough..."

Bly

I still use the discontinued model X-Rite DTP41 and get good results.

They go for around $500 used on ebay.
Make sure you get cables, calibration reference card and CD with it.

4R Graphics

I dont know about onyx as far as building a profile but if it has the capabilities built into the software like flexi does then all you need is a spectrophotometer.

You can pick up a used i1 from ebay for $600 or less and that is all you need to build profiles if onyx has the capabilities.

You would need xrites software to build monitor profiles but I beleive you can down load the older version for free from xrite to calibrate your monitors.

Like I said if onyx has profile capabilities built in then just buy a used xrite or getrage mcbeth i1 and you will be all set.

Building profiles has a little learning curve so besure to search the forum there is good info on herre about building profiles.

Also when you buy a used xrite i1 try to get one that is not 5 years out of calibration a year or 2 should be fine.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

I can tell you this if you buy the equipment and learn to build profiles you will not be sorry.