• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color scheme...for graphics?

jaylem

Customer wants his company name on the side of his new cargo van...

His well drilling trucks are red and we did white lettering with a black stroke and black drop shadow, looks great.

His new van is a navy metallic blue and he wants lettering in chrome with a stroke and drop shadow. Here's the question:

Should the stroke have a heavy contrast against the letter style? Normally, i would insist on the contrast, otherwise the lettering starts to look "heavy".

Should the stroke/drop shadow contrast the background? Normally, I like to see a fair amount of contrast so that the stroke/drop are discernible.

What make the most sense for a stroke/drop shadow color on a chrome letter, on a navy blue metallic background?

rjssigns

Here's something and old sign guy told me, "Mirrors only reflect dark not light." Chrome on dark may create issues with visibility.

I went against his advice, did what the client wanted, and put chrome lettering on a black truck. Sounded good in theory. Client was happy, but it was unreadable unless you were right on top of it.

That's all I know for today.

rjssigns

I'd try to talk them into a metallic instead. Even the "five year" chrome doesn't hold up all that well.

This^^^

If the client insists put cast vinyl underneath the chrome. At some point you'll have to remove it. I used to d a fleet of tow trucks with chrome lettering and used black vinyl for the backing and outline.

Billct2

I agree, I hate chrome lettering, but do it when the client insists. The problem with picking a color to outline/shade it is in some light a dark color will disappear into the dark reflection of the chrome, and in another light a light color will disappear into the brightness of the chrome.

2B

agreed, chrome will be a tricky point when dealing with color contrast.

one one we like to use when we have to use chrome is get chrome that is textured (diamond plate, brushed, etc.) this seems to help with coloring.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've always been under the impression..... on a bright day, it will reflect brightly and on a cloudy or dull day, it will reflect dully. Therefore, it is not really a good color for making letters or using as a background. It's a gimmick and a lousy one at that. You can either outline it with something drastic, so it will show up under certain conditions, but it might backfire on ya, under other conditions.

Your metallic colors do the same thing, but not quite as bad.

Chromes, silvers and light metallics are terrible for lettering gonna be used outdoors. It's that simple. Try to fix a total wrong... and you'll be doing your customer more of a disservice than talking him out of it or letting someone else f*ck it up for him.

jaylem

He has an existing van in the fleet that another sign shop did for him 5 years ago with chrome graphics. Their thrilled with the complement they get. I said,"well, are you fishing for complements or looking for effective means to communicate your message.

I had a 15 minute explanation of design and color science with the client...heavy steering them towards white lettering. Cut and masked some samples to put on the van. I told them to park the van in the sun and shade before making any final decisions. I was very soft about it but told them "hey, chrome looks super cool from 5' out but once you get further back the legibility fades fast." Plus, lots of extra $$$ for the chrome overlay. Its a family business so it goes into committee and once the cost is added, the chrome will probably go away.

decalman

I did a black outline on chrome, but lots depends on the substrate color.
You mentioned that you liked the red with the black streaks.
I never ever put black and red together. 9 out of 10 times it's baaad Harmony.
Just sayin.

k.a.s.

It's not a fight I choose to pick with people. Chrome doesn't always show up, but when it does it's kinda cool. I have much less of a problem with chrome lettering than I do when someone wants me to use red letters on a blue backround. And as was said always use a vinyl behind it so it can be removed later.

Keivn

jaylem

I did a black outline on chrome, but lots depends on the substrate color.
You mentioned that you liked the red with the black streaks.
I never ever put black and red together. 9 out of 10 times it's baaad Harmony.
Just sayin.
Red substrate with white letters...black stock and drop shadow...works well, in my opinion. However, I agree that red letters almost always look terrible with black stroke

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just Iike happy endings.

See, more people should take note what the OP did here. He went the extra mile and educated the customer, so he could make a proper decision, rather than an emotional one. He saw first hand what would happen, if he had gone with his wants, rather then needs.

We'll done !!