• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colors Are Horrible Mutoh Valuejet 1618a Using Flexi Rip

MrsHuotte

Hello Everyone.

I have a Mutoh Printer 1618A and using the Flexi RIP.
I am very new to these printers, I am trying to print on reflective (for hard hat stickers) the colors are horrible. The color test run is horrible as well. Is there anyone who knows what settings I need to have. Maybe someone in my area that can come to my shop and could teach me how to run this machine
Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks Brooke

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What profile are you using? Reflective is a hard one to profile, because: A. it's reflective, and B. it's not really white. Best solution I have found (and I don't print a whole lot of reflective because of this) is to print out a complete Pantone swatch on it, using the best reflective profile you can find. Then you can pick which colors work for your needs....in other words, find a red that's closest to the red you want, etc. Then create a swatch in Flexi with those colors and use it solely for printing reflective.

Correct Color

Brooke,

Well, I'm not in your area -- looking at the map, who is? -- but I can come get you profiled and teach you a good deal about using your machine.

When I get done, you'll have profiles on all your media that will work, yes including reflective, you'll have a rock-solid color workflow, you'll have a good understanding of using your RIP and the printing process, and you'll have lifetime free tech support.

(Edited to add: It is your profile, by the way, that's the problem. Basically it works like this: Your computer creates pixels; your printer creates dots. Your RIP converts pixels into dots, and it does it using information in profiles. And the information in those profiles defines everything about how your printer prints, so profiles are the absolute single most important ingredient in large format digital printing.

Also not to exactly contradict ea, but I profile reflective all the time. There are some tricks in the process, and of course since it is so dark, there are lots of colors that are lighter than it is so they'll never reproduce exactly, but that's just part of the game. Still once you have a correct profile for your printer for that media, you'll hit as close as you can hit, first time every time, and will have no need for printing test swatches or swatch books.)

Last edited:

MrsHuotte

Mike, Thanks for being so helpful. Do you know of someone in my area that I can get here?

I would just love to learn everything from scratch. I know its not the best printer out there, but I know it can print better than it does now.

Maybe we can do a phone and computer lesson, do you have a program where you could take over my computer?

Thanks

FatCat

Profile Matte Vinyl 720x720

If I may ask, why are you using a matte profile? Most reflective films I am familiar with have a gloss surface, so there might be some issue there with the ink densities and such as matte profiles tend to mute the color somewhat for the desired effect. I would suggest trying a gloss profile and see if that changes things...

Correct Color

Brooke,

Just to be sure we're on the same page here, helping people like you is what I do for a living, and I've traveled all over the world doing it. So traveling to you is not a problem for me.

As far as knowing anyone in your area, well, keep in mind that it would have to be someone who understands your printer, understands your RIP, who can make you profiles on your media in your environment, who understands how to best reproduce spot colors, and can create a color workflow for you, put it all together and make it work.

If that person existed in your area, they'd charge for their service roughly what I do, and all you'd save with them over me is travel expense.

As far as remoting in, yes I can do it, but no I can't profile remotely, or rather to say, I can, but it's a huge pain, and the result isn't as good. And profiles are the very heart of how well you're going to print. Also in terms of just flat gaining knowledge, it's far better for me to be there than not.

Honestly, here's the deal: You've got a lot learning to do and a lot of pieces to fall in place to get to where you need to be. And one way or another, it's going to cost you to get there. Many, many people think that they can learn all this on the cheap, but what they waste in time and materials, in lost jobs and lost clients, makes what I charge so that you're the best in town the day I leave chump change in comparison.

MrsHuotte

If I may ask, why are you using a matte profile? Most reflective films I am familiar with have a gloss surface, so there might be some issue there with the ink densities and such as matte profiles tend to mute the color somewhat for the desired effect. I would suggest trying a gloss profile and see if that changes things...

Like I said I really have no idea what I am doing. That's what the girl that usually prints the sign uses is the matte. I tried on the glossy and the color actually looks worse.

Thank you

MrsHuotte

Brooke,

Just to be sure we're on the same page here, helping people like you is what I do for a living, and I've traveled all over the world doing it. So traveling to you is not a problem for me.

As far as knowing anyone in your area, well, keep in mind that it would have to be someone who understands your printer, understands your RIP, who can make you profiles on your media in your environment, who understands how to best reproduce spot colors, and can create a color workflow for you, put it all together and make it work.

If that person existed in your area, they'd charge for their service roughly what I do, and all you'd save with them over me is travel expense.

As far as remoting in, yes I can do it, but no I can't profile remotely, or rather to say, I can, but it's a huge pain, and the result isn't as good. And profiles are the very heart of how well you're going to print. Also in terms of just flat gaining knowledge, it's far better for me to be there than not.

Honestly, here's the deal: You've got a lot learning to do and a lot of pieces to fall in place to get to where you need to be. And one way or another, it's going to cost you to get there. Many, many people think that they can learn all this on the cheap, but what they waste in time and materials, in lost jobs and lost clients, makes what I charge so that you're the best in town the day I leave chump change in comparison.

I understand everything you are saying. I agree.

Can you email me so we can go from there brooke@humboldtprinters.net

Signchief

In a pinch you can try printing on clear and apply that over the reflective I have found the colors look a little better but I think it's less reflective. If you're trying to match a previous order than you are missing something.