• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Colors don't match between panel in the same rip.

Annette Asberg

So we use Avery 1105 with Avery Dol 1380 lam.
We have been printing on our HP latex 365 and we printed 42 big panels and we rotated every other panel. But it had differences in the colors. Any ideas what to do?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Most likely there is some underperforming printhead. There's ways to find out more but I would start from replacing the most used ones.

Andy D

Might be a silly question; did you print them in order and flip every other one, or flip every other one and print out of order?

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
I am very curious, where was the rotation for each panel specifically done? Was it in the native design application, in acrobat, at the rip or at the machine?

Annette Asberg

Might be a silly question; did you print them in order and flip every other one, or flip every other one and print out of order?
I printed them in order and flipped every other one. Otherwise it wouldn't have been printing them flipped every other one would it?

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Replace it with a printer that doesn't use thermal based heads.
If you're tiling out jobs you want Piezo heads.
Most customers have acquired an Epson, OkiData, Mimaki solvent printer and keep their latex for small jobs.
Epson is releasing their own Resin (latex) printer
Bruce
melloimaging.com

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We have the large latex 1500s and don't get this issue of the color shifts. All of our tiling is done within Caldera....quite easy to do with correct overlaps and such. No need to rotate tiles. I keep reading about the smaller latex machines going south on the color and shifting from panel to panel...is it a matter of the cool down and reheat in-between each "print job" that it senses? What happens if you run 3 tiles nested at say 24-26 ft long overall....does it do the same thing on those machines?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Same issue here. Rolan printer ( solvent) with 3m ij 180 material. Everything as changed on the machine. oem head, captop, dampers. Still had the same issue. had the option turned on where the rip software flips every other panel. Didn't help. I made sure the room has a steady temp ( if you turn the ac on in the morning and start printing it takes a while for the temp to go down and ac also makes the air dry in the room so it might matter but in reality, it didn't still had mismatching colors between panels even when i printed roland spot color. I couldn't narrov it down to the file format. Usually I save my files in pdf in illustrator and tiff in photoshop
oh and btw since everything is new of course my test print is %100 perfect all the time. before, inbetween and after prints

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Same issue here. Rolan printer ( solvent) with 3m ij 180 material. Everything as changed on the machine. oem head, captop, dampers. Still had the same issue. had the option turned on where the rip software flips every other panel. Didn't help. I made sure the room has a steady temp ( if you turn the ac on in the morning and start printing it takes a while for the temp to go down and ac also makes the air dry in the room so it might matter but in reality, it didn't still had mismatching colors between panels even when i printed roland spot color. I couldn't narrov it down to the file format. Usually I save my files in pdf in illustrator and tiff in photoshop
oh and btw since everything is new of course my test print is %100 perfect all the time. before, inbetween and after prints
There's really not much you can do about it if you use OEM ink.

Tim Miller

We stopped doing vehicle graphics on our latex 360 because of color shifts on long jobs (like long trailers). Alternate tiles are fine - but they just make the shift more gradual. If you start with fresh print heads and do the calibrations, you might be able to get away with it. But we've given up and rely on the Mimaki, which doesn't shift colors.