• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ColorSpan or Gerber Solara?

FLSignMan

Hi guys.

I'm new to the signage world, but have been tasked to research our company's entry in the UV world. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ColorSpan 5465 or Gerber Solara? I've also seen the preview on the Gerber Solara Ion, which also looks pretty interesting, albeit unproven.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

ScottyDoo

I don't have any knowledge on the Gerber, but the ColorSpan's are actually quite nice. I run their big brother the 9840uv, but I know these are modeled after it on a smaller scale. Great machines. ColorSpan machines can be a headache, but if you really spend your time getting to know the ins and outs of each machine they can really work well for you.

KR3signguy

The Solara, made by Fisher Price not Gerber.
I know someone who had a ColorSpan for a short period of time.
They needed something that could handle heavy production & this wasn't it. I would't consider any without a vacuum table. Wait to see what HP does with them.
All in all, you get what you pay for.
Good luck

Flame

I don't own one, but talked to a dealer who sold both. They were really pushing the Solara. Saw prints from them both, and the Solara had some really nice looking prints.

If their price is similiar (can't remember pricing), I'd go with the Solara.

darinbushman

Well, I was talking with my rep last week, he has a brand new solara that he would give away as the new Ion is going to come out 20k cheaper than the solara... Gerber is advising them to discount the crap out of any models they have in inventory... I would guess the ion is going to be better faster etc.. but now might be the time to get a great buy on a solara...

Steve Prince

I've had a Colorspan 5445 since April and there were some bugs, but I expected that since it was one of the first that shipped out. Colorspan stuck with it until it was good.

After 15 years of plotting vinyl and the Edge, we were maxed out as far as production speed and what we could offer.

The 5445 has opened up new markets for us in regards to lrg format graphics and speed. Now we take jobs we had to turn away for screen printers. A re-order we took in for 20 coro signs used to take about 14 minutes each to plot, weed and apply. Now it takes 18 minutes to complete all 20.

The Solara is cheaper but I was concerened with the speed.

SignManiac

I've been running the 5465 for the past four months now. A few initial bugs to work out but ours has been printing everyday that we've had it. I know I've done $80k in printing already in those four months if not more.

I just got a call from Carol a sales rep fro Freddies Plastics in Plant City Florida. She called to ask me if I knew of anybody looking to buy a used Solara. You might give her a call and get the info. It might be going for a cheap price given they have a new machine coming out which is news to me. I'm not a Gerber fan so I don't follow any news about them.

MobileImpact

Solara-Great UV Printer Slow as hell and a bargain at the price now!
Colorspan- Good machine, overpriced-Wait to see what HP is going to do.
ION- wait 6 months until the bugs are worked out.

ScottyDoo

Maybe so but the machine is under engineered.
If your going to spend the money,
you gotta go with Gandi, Vutek, Nur, Inca

Won't argue there...I didn't have a say in it. Owners came back from a show in Vegas as said "hey, we just bought the new 9840uv." The thing that was the clincher for them was that we can put in our precut 12x18 and 18x24, etc and run them like that rather than loading a sheet and cutting it down afterwards. Such a huge timesaver.

we have a solara uv2,, 1 yr old in may 07

the only 2 real issues that bugs me is MDO has to be flatter than humanly possible...

the registration on double sided is usually off by 1/8'' to 1/4''

as for speed...it takes about 45 mins to an hour on 3 pass for a 4x8
so it is slower than most.

we go to orlando soon...new toys yay!

Urban Image

Most UV printers out there are a bit overpriced. If you buy now you'll be missing out. Wait 6 months. Some really cool machines are going to be coming out and others will have their prices absolutely slashed to hell.

Robert M

Mutoh Flatbed 1608

Mutoh has a unit available come Jan 2008. Specs say 140 sf/hr
nice thing is it will use bio inks that will be less cost and there will be no need for the expensive UV bulbs

petepaz

that ion video looks good
the idea of sheets/flatbed and roll format is great
the other thing that would top it off would be mastering the white ink
i know mimaki has it but their machine cost as much as my house

FLSignMan

Thank you very much for the comments guys.

I'm trying to do as much homework as possible before SGIA. If anyone can think of any other resources that they feel would be helpful I'd greatly appreciate it.

How difficult is it to print full bleed on flatbeds?