• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Communication problem using Graphtec FC-3100-60 with Flexi 8.5

Moonlight Taxi

So I have a Graphtec FC-3100-60 (that I bought used) and a dedicated PC running Flexi 8.5. I have the two connected with a 25 to 9 pin "null modem" serial cable. It appears that I have a communication problem as when I send a job to the cutter nothing happens. I'm fairly certain that the cable is connected and assigned to Com port 1 and that's the port which I have Flexi sending the jobs through. Currently, when I send a job to the cutter, the Flexi production manager says "cutting 0%" for a long time followed by "write port error". When I tried using different ports it actually goes through the process saying "Cutting 10% 20%...50%...etc untill it reaches 100% although nothing actually happens at the cutter.

If the problem doesn't lie within the connection I thought possibly there's a setting wrong on the cutter. Anyone know if there's a "master reset" function with this cutter to return it back to "default" settings? I put the cutter through it's "self test" and it appears to work fine.

A.J.

signage

Check on your graphtec plotter that it is set to HPGL not GPGL and also that you software is set to HPGl!

Moonlight Taxi

Update

Problem solved. I called around to some sign shops and they suggested as an alternative, try using a parallel cable and the parallel printer ports between the computer and the graphtec. I found a parallel cable I had lying around hooked it up, switched the communication port to LP1 and it worked!

I suppose the serial cable I had was either defective, the wrong cable or there is maybe an issue with the serial port on my PC.

If I get a chance, I will try another serial cable to confirm this and post back.

A.J.