• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Competing With Online Giants Like Vista Print & Custom Ink

visualtechmedia

Do any of you think your business is effected by online giants like Vista Print and Custom Ink? Does it makes obtaining customers harder? Is it harder to strive competing with online giants like them?

mameighan

It can be pretty difficult with more people being internet savvy. Often they will go online and just do it there. without any design prowess though it is easy to spot vistaprint items a mile away with the cookie cutter approach.
I am in a business networking group and many of the newer members come in with vistaprint and then end up going to me or another print guy for that better looking item.

What you cant get from vistaprint is the knowledge that come from years of doing it. As a print guy we can can sit and talk with the client to get the better product.

The same is on custom ink. For the most part their quality is good but only as good as you design them. i get quite a few people giving me a print out from Custom and asking me to reproduce and we can usually match prices but custom ink is convenient for many

I must admit though I do lose quite a bit of business to the online companies especially discountmugs as well as a few others and of course banners on ebay and the like.

But as I said, we set ourselves above the rest with knowledge and experience and the willingness often to not just press the print button

mjkjr

I don't think about them too much.

I do both small format printing and screen printing on apparel (among other things), and I have gotten a few customers after they had used one of the online places you mentioned and experienced their low quality and inconsistent results.

In my experience clients like the piece of mind that comes with knowing they can go to you in person if they have an issue. Once they meet you and work with you, provided you give them a good experience, they will be unlikely to return to an online store that is an unknown quantity. They will have comfort in their trust in you and the fact that they have you to hold accountable, and fear that they will be con'd online.

What's more, I also send out all of my small format printing (but not to vistaprint, lol). And most of my clients are aware of this fact. I do let them know, however, that I have a working relationship with these print venders, and I get wholesale pricing, so they aren't losing out.

rossmosh

There's always been an issue with the big guys vs the little guys.

I think the biggest issue is the technology available to micro/small businesses. The tech solutions for a small business to compete are often too expensive. The tech developers seem to prefer to have 500 customers paying $200/mo vs 5000 customers paying $40. When you figure $200/mo x 12 months, you can almost justify paying a developer to do the whole job for you as it might cost the same $2400. But now you're left with having to find and team up with a developer and as a whole, freelance guys are flakes and difficult to work with.

I'm pretty tech savy. A lot of people in this industry have to be because we rely on printers, computers, and CNC machines to do so much for us on a daily basis. I hate how low tech my business is though. I can't justify the costs to pay for a mediocre solution and I can't spend the time holding the hand of a freelance developer.

visual800

Nah, but I do love when they think vistaprint is a great deal.

They dont bother me at all though and I wont bow to the cheap prices

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I used to fret about the big guys also. Have you heard of the Blue Ocean strategy? Basically, it's the concept of moving out of the shark infested "red (bloody) ocean" and getting into calmer waters where you can thrive. Trying to compete with the big guys will potentially cause you to do things you normally wouldn't do...like things that could actually harm your business. Stick to your guns, and your business plan.

Here's a link:

https://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/what-is-blue-ocean-strategy/

oksigns

While I worked as a graphic designer for a small print shop, we were confronted constantly with customers who would cite the competition in terms of price and convenience, but I maintained our advantage as being 1.) local, 2.) attentive to customer needs 3.) getting something one off(essentially marketing my capabilities)

There are hurdles like obvious overhead and design time; however, James Burke explained it well.. you have to find a nesting ground and it helps to adapt!

Before we knew it, I made over a dozen holiday card templates for customers to choose from and other measures to help compete against the Vistas and what not.

If someone steps foot in your store, you have to realize they are giving you a chance- 1 shot essentially, and if you understand your competition, you can woo them in ways they would not expect(expediency of product, attentive customer service, etc..)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's one thing to worry about what the guy down the street is getting for signs or truck lettering, let alone business cards. It's quite foolish to worry about what a multi-million dollar company can do. You only need to get what you need to get, in order to keep your doors open. If you can't compete with the so-called big guys, find another niche or sell them on things the other guy can't do..... as already mentioned.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We also get to use those online juggernauts to help us sell products we otherwise couldn't even offer. I'm willing to bet none of you have the machines that can throw UV coating on 16pt card stock like 4Over does...but you can offer them to your clients as a convenient add on while their there getting signage...since you've already got their logo etc.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet but happens to me regularly is...some people would rather pay a local business to keep their money in their community rather than go to the next city or state. Some of those will even pay a little extra for that. They also know they can see you face to face.

Billct2

I'm sure there is business I have never seen because of online giants, and not so giants.
But what I offer isn't available to most people shopping online, 40 years of experience with materials and installation
and the crew I work with who are very good at what they do.
Design, material selection and skilled install set anyone apart from online retailers.
I have one big client who always compliments us on the work we do, because the signs are legible,
fairly priced and delivered when they need them.
That's what keeps clients coming back and referring me to others.
What the future will bring I don't know.
One of mu kids expressed interest in being in this business, I didn't encourage it.

reQ

Never was worried about companies like that. Their business model is totally different. I am a cockroach if i would compare myself to them. I use them sometimes as a supplier for specialty stuff that i can't get done locally or as cheap as they do. For example business folders; mouse pads; hard stock super nice finish business cards etc.

Good thing about vista, that i never had an issue with them. Even if something is wrong, they simply redo the job.

So do not try to compete with them because you will go broke pretty fast, try to work with them to your advantage.

Do any of you think your business is effected by online giants like Vista Print and Custom Ink?

Who? PFFT!

But in reality, we don't care about our offset and digital print sales enough to worry about Vistaprint and Custom Ink surprisingly doesn't seem to be lowballing against it's competitors so they're no real threat.

fresh

I really don't think we compete with them.

A few people here and there say "BUT I CAN GET CARDS FROM VISTA PRINT FOR $10!!" And I say, you go right ahead.

They aren't my customer. I don't worry about it. I'm not racing to the bottom trying to win the job on price alone.