• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer gurus - attack!

letterman7

Got bit by a nasty virus "XP Anti-Virus 2011" a few minutes ago. Downloaded instructions from Bleeping Computer to combat; just wondering if there is anything else I can do....

Thanks!

letterman7

Yep, I can get into the task manager and upload files from an uninfected computer per BC's instructions. So far, so good. That's a nasty little bug... stay tuned.

jtrainor56

From bleeping computer download rkill.com. Put your PC into safe mode, run rkill first then malwarebytes. Make sure malwarebytes has the latest definition files. May have to do this more then once.
If that does not work then try the registry fix they suggest and repeat above.

weaselboogie

I removed this from a friends computer a couple of months ago. There's a file that starts with Windows that I was able to stop process by running task manager while the computer was booting. Once the program starts you can't seem to do much. Once I was able to stop the process, I ran malwarbytes.

njshorts

malwarebytes or vipre antivirus.

also, if xp- run the restore utility... it'll make the system usable in regular mode (not safe mode)... It's located in c:\windows\system32

shakey0818

From bleeping computer download rkill.com. Put your PC into safe mode, run rkill first then malwarebytes. Make sure malwarebytes has the latest definition files. May have to do this more then once.
If that does not work then try the registry fix they suggest and repeat above.

:goodpost:
works for me every time

2B

Malewarebytes has yet to fail for me.

the following steps are ideal to follow so the virus can not interfere with malewarebytes

Download malewarebytes .exe to a flash drive
boot the infected comp in safe mode
install malewarebytes from safe mode
then run a full scan.

hydo1

I know this is an older thread now and the problem is solved, but I had this happen last night on my Wife's personal computer. I had "Win 7 Antivirus". Irritating but seems harmless if caught early.

I ran SpyBot Search and Destory, it found the instance of malware and removed it. Then it ran again on bootup and verified it was gone.

gabagoo

a little off topic but when I read about viruses it makes me wonder why we hook up to the internet with any work computer these days.
I should just use a seperate computer to go online and keep everything else somewhat safe, although I suppose if they are networked to share files then an infection can move across the network....

is it true that a Mac cant get infected in any way off the internet?

Last edited:

hydo1

a little off topic but when I read about viruses it makes me wonder why we hook up to the internet with any work computer these days.
I should just use a seperate computer to go online and keep everything else somewhat safe, although I suppose if they are netwoprked to share files then an infection can move across the network....

I was just talking to my Dad about this today -- he said he heard that the safest way to do any online financial work is to use a separate laptop or PC loaded with Linux! I think I might have to agree.

had the exact same thing 2 days ago, heres how you get rid...............
run in safe mode,
run maleware bytes,
run ad aware,
run spybot.
then download rkill, its a dos programme.

this sould do it, it worked for me.

Hwy_C

Mac OsX 10 through OsX 10.6 are absolutely vulnerable to net viruses and malware. Can't speak for OsX 10.7 - I'm not even sure it's been released to the public yet.

Most nasties are designed to get Windows based computers - they're the vast majority of machines out there. It's as simple as an ROI calculation - why design software to target (at best) one or two percent of your "audience" when you can get darn near a hundred percent by goin' for Windows? The protection offered by the Mac system is, basically, that you're a minor fraction of the internet traffic out there, so the nasties aren't aimed at you.

As the Macs have become more popular over the last few years, I've seen more and more stuff pop up to target them. Had to nuke some stuff off my own machines!

Diligence and caution are the only real defenses you can deploy. For every AntiVirus program out there, there's a thousand folks trying to defeat it!

Sorry to go off post on my first (post)!

FrankenSigns.biz

Ahhhh. The pleasures of owning a Mac. Pay no attention to the previous post. Viruses do not exist, in any comparable measure, for the Mac.