• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Computer networking

Eric H

Our showroom and workshop have been in separate buildings but within wifi range of each other. The workshop has moved down the road and is now out of wifi range. My question is what can be done to network the computers through the internet. I would like to have access to the files in each shop. Don't really want online storage or cloud storage and need to depend on someone putting the files there.The little bit of research I have done looks like some sort of VPN might work but I have no experience with them. Saw a few programs that may work but would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this.

GB2

Old Member
Look into GoToMyPC, I use it to work between 3 different locations and don't know how I'd operate without it. Last year I was actually sending print jobs and operating machines in my shop while driving on a bus in Italy using GoToMyPC, it was amazing.

Eric H

But can you transfer files from one computer to another. I don't really need remote access/control.

WildWestDesigns

But can you transfer files from one computer to another. I don't really need remote access/control.

Technically speaking you do want remote access and control, otherwise you can't transfer.

We use a Qnap to share all the files within the office to the shop, but it within one building, so it's really just network access, not internet access for us.

You can setup to access over the internet, however, you do run the risk of more "attacks" to gain access/control and then lock you out. Main reason why we don't do have outside access to the Qnap.

Eric H

Your right I need access but not control. Most of the programs I have seen allow you you to control the the computer remotely but files can't be moved between them.

WildWestDesigns

Your right I need access but not control. Most of the programs I have seen allow you you to control the the computer remotely but files can't be moved between them.

Again, you need control. Otherwise you can't transfer files. It will be all look and no touch.

TeamViewer allows you to transfer files between computers. Free for personal, purchase for commercial use.

Setting up something with a Qnap, I think is better in one sense and you aren't needing a computer to be online outside the storage unit. Nor do you have to have control over the computer, just over the Qnap, which wonn't affect other users. The bad thing is, your storage unit is more susceptible to "attacks", because anyone with an internet connection has the potential to access your server and lock you out.

Ditchmiester

You need VPN access from one building to another. This can usually be done with your internet router. We just installed a Meraki Security device in our building to handle our VPN's for working from home and on the road. This is a very simple process. Basically you setup usernames and passwords Tell the device what your WAN IP address is and then setup the computers outside the building to connect to them. Its just like being in the same building with being able to open and transfer files from one computer/folder to another. I've used other VPN programs and setups but Meraki is by far the easiest. Only downside is there is a little upfront cost to buy the device. I've seen them used on ebay though. Look up a Meraki MX60.

bomaboat

I used to be an IT guy but transitioned to self-employed sign work for my own sanity. My input is to setup an openvpn server. However, do not use a router as a vpn server as was previously suggested. Adding additional functions to a router only creates more security risks at your firewall, which should be the most locked-down internet-connected device on your network. I ran an openvpn server on a netgate 2d3 router for a while and ended up getting invaded by some script using a 0-day hack. I did everything right but still ate it because my vpn "server" was piggy-backed onto the router software making it impossible to update the vpn software until the router software people distributed the update to me. VPN servers need to exist on real server software: openbsd, freebsd, or one of the linux's.

The correct answer is to either pay a 3rd-party (hostvpn) a few dollars a month to host an openvpn server for you or buy a VPS (from buyvm.net or digitalocean) and run the vpn server from that. Have all your computers run the openvpn client and connect to the server, whether administered by you or a 3rd party.

If that all sounds like too much effort then the correct answer is dropbox or box.com.

Another option would be to get some hefty wifi equipment from ubiquiti. The bullet's are great for distances of less than 1/4 mile. The nanobridge units can shoot a wifi signal 15+ miles.

In ANY case, make sure you have good, tested and verified backups of your important data.